Preparing for Ambush

Berkut's face struggled to find an emotion to express as he tried to find words. "I won't be able to protect you all the time, (y/n), and I don't want you to think low of me for not being able to protect you. All I want is for you to be safe."

"I understand, Berkut. It's okay that you won't always be here to protect me, I know you try your hardest and that is all that can be asked of you."

Berkut let slip a smile, gently squeezing my hand and leading me back inside. "When the time comes, Alm and his ilk will attack Rigel castle. When that happens, I need you to hide in the catacombs under the palace, I will find you after the fight is over."

"Berkut, I'm afraid I can't do that. I want to fight at your side. We are stronger together than we are apart."

Berkut sighed. "You do have a point, but if it gets too dangerous, I want you to flee."

"I understand, and only if you promise to be careful."

"I swear on my pride."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Berkut spent the night with me that night, saying he'd watch over me in the night just in case the attack came early. I think it was just so he wasn't alone the night before his home is attacked, and his loved ones possibly taken from him.

"You appear to be in deep thought, my lady. May I ask about what?" Berkut hooked an arm around me as we settled on top of my bedding, his thumb gently grazing the side of my arm as it swept back and forth in a nervous fashion.

"I was thinking about what could happen tomorrow." It's not an entire lie, but  a mere stretch of truth. Berkut bought it, and gave a small nod in acknowledgement as he, too, stared off into space just as I am.

. . .

"(y/n)?"

"Yes, Berkut?"

"..."

I turned to see him drifting off, struggling to keep himself awake as his eyes tried to focus on me.

"I- I um..." He shook his head, trying to shake himself awake for just a bit longer. He ended up pulling me closer to him, settling his head under my chin and holding me close to him. He muttered something I couldn't really make out, then his breaths evened out, taking his stress away as he drifted off to sleep.

I sat there wondering what he said for a few moments, but then decided I could ask about it in the morning. He might tell me, or he might not; it's worth asking, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning came, and I rose early; a short while before dawn, I'm guessing. Berkut was still sound asleep at my side, his hair tousled and sticking out in places. His hair poked out in two different places on his head, making cat ears or devil horns out of his hair. I barely contained my laughter as I left the comforts of the blankets and prepared for the day.

I dressed in my armor, just in case the attack came today. You can never be too careful now, and I must protect Berkut; his life is of far more importance than my own.

I decided to meet with Massena in the armory to discuss plans and further prepare.

"I'm sure Lord Berkut would not be pleased to see you here on your own and this determined to protect him, but as a father figure to you, I will aid you however I can." Massena seemed hesitant at first to help me, but we eventually came up with a plan just in case Berkut was in danger.

"If he's in dire peril, you'll only have a split second to react, so your magic will not be efficient in this event."

"What do you suggest I do, Massena?"

The older man twisted his mustache in deep thought, brainstorming multiple ideas.

"You know how to use other weapons, yes?"

"I guess so, although I'm not very skilled with swords or lances, those are the two I have some knowledge in using."

"Right," Massena clapped his hands together, "I shall train you a short while to be more proficient with a blade. You will not be on a horse during this battle, so using a lance is risky on the ground for you."

We spent most of the morning training with swords, and by lunch time I had grown to be more adept with various swords and rapiers.

"That's enough training for today, I think. You should be ready for anything now, milady."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found Berkut in the dining hall waiting for me. I took my seat beside him, smiling at him as I settled in my seat.

"Where were you this morning, (y/n)? I searched all of your normal spots and I failed to find you."

Berkut seemed concerned, and I didn't want to tell the whole truth about what I was doing, so I told him what I could.

"I was training with Massena while you slept. I apologize for not stating my whereabouts before I left."

"It's alright, my lady. I was just worried that Alm had infiltrated the palace and captured you."

I laughed a bit at his worry, sounding like a mother bird afraid for her hatchlings.

"You worry too much, Berkut. I can protect myself now, and Alm cannot get to me without going through Massena, I assure you."

Berkut huffed a sigh of relief, then we both proceeded to eat our lunch.

"Promise me something, (y/n)."

"Yes?"

"Promise me you'll be careful and not do anything reckless. I can't lose you to these worms."

Berkut held my hands in his own as we now stood in the courtyard of the palace, watching the horizon from the front gates. We heard from scouts that Alm and his army are heading this way, and should be here on the hour.

Or so we thought.

"Enemy sighted!"

A soldier yells from a watchtower nearby. We watch the horizon, but no sign of the approaching army.

"From where?!"

Berkut leads his horse outside the gate, looking outside, then shrugging his shoulders.

Massena freezes in his tracks, turning to us.

"Impossible..."

Berkut returns to us. "What is it, Massena?"

"They are either coming from the rear, or they are already inside!" Massena takes off inside the palace, calling for Berkut  and I to stay put. We got to our positions at the doors of the palace, groups of soldiers spreading out to cover the area of the courtyard.

"(Y/n), get to higher ground. Your magic is better at longer range, and you'll be safe with the archers."

I take one last look at Berkut before following that one order, taking a place at the top of the wall of the front gate with the archers, ready to defend.