Winter in Rigel

Berkut and I had returned home, and we were welcomed by Massena and Emperor Rudolph who welcomed me home and complimented me to no end. Berkut eventually got them to cease their attack on my person, and stole me away to the gardens for some peace.

The garden had grown a bit since the last time I was here. There was a new patch of purple and white roses beside my favorite spot to sit in silence, birds enjoying the company of the flowers.

"I had those flowers planted when I returned before. There are others around the fountain and lilies in the water. I requested the roses be planted near here so you could admire them and have them for company when I have work."

Berkut held his hands behind his back, watching me take in the new sight and awaiting my response.

"I love it, Berkut.  They're beautiful." I turned to look at him, my smile reflecting to light on his face and coaxing a smile out of him.

"I'm glad you like it. I requested this addition a while after I brought you here, but the servants had waited until we were absent to work on this."

Settling in the midst of the flowers, I coaxed Berkut to settle down with me, him sitting in front of me on the concrete to not disturb the flowers around me.

"Those flowers fit you beautifully, my lady. I made the right choice in choosing this arrangement of flora."

Berkut gently took one of the fallen blooms from the tree above us and gently placed it in my hair, then retrieved another and placed it on the other side.

"We don't usually celebrate Rigelian holidays at the palace, but I'm sure we can make an exception if you wish."

I held Berkut's hands between us, watching him try to read my thoughts. "Everyone should celebrate, even royalty. I may not have originated from wealth, but my uncle and his family always celebrated each Rigelian holiday to the fullest."

"Speaking of your family, I heard that one of your brothers is within my command. Is this correct?"

"Yes, I never saw him in any of our adventures, so I assumed he was on the front line somewhere or something else."

"He's here in the palace. Uncle stationed him here for the upcoming winter ball tonight. I understand it is on short notice, I didn't know until today as well, so I had Massena find you a beautiful dress to wear tonight. Massena has an interesting taste for fashion if I do say so myself."

As Berkut spoke, I was distracted by white particles falling around us. I held out my hand to catch one of these and my excitement grew when I realized it was actual snow.

"Berkut, get up, it's snowing!" I swiftly rose from the flowers and carefully stepped back onto the path beside him, holding out my hands to catch the ice crystals.

"Amazing, it hasn't snowed during the day like this in a while. It must be the winds of change." Berkut smiled, catching some snow in his hands and admiring the crystals as they melted.

"I haven't seen snow like this since I was a little girl! Even then, it wasn't this much."

"I'm glad you like it, my lady. Shall we return to prepare for this evening?"

Apologies for this being so short, the next part will hopefully be longer. I'll try my best for our cinnamon roll, Berkut.

Berkut: Just get it done, woman, we have readers waiting for my presence