Berkut Returns

Massena and I spent a lot of time together. He had let me ride one of the calvalry horses for a while, taken me into town to treat me to lunch, and even bought me some chocolates from a nearby candy store.

---------------------------------------------------------

Massena accompanied me over the course of the next couple days until Berkut returns from the border. On the morning of the third day, Massena told me that Berkut would be returning at any time and would accompany me at the front gates to wait for him.

We waited at the front gates for a while until I started getting bored. I needed something to do.

"I can feel your restlessness from here, milady. Lord Berkut will arrive at any time. He might be running an errand in town before returing home."

Massena must be telling the truth, because I notice Zeke's horse coming down the road and riding up to us. "Afternoon, Massena. I have something that I must discuss with you."

"Very well," Massena turns to me, "excuse me, milady. I'm sure Lord Berkut will he arriving shortly." He excused himself then followed Zeke inside.

Now alone, I decided to wait just outside of the gates so I could see Berkut come up, and so I can watch the fields of other riders as they train.

I was accompanied by the birds and butterflies while I watched the dark horses and their riders in the fields ahead. The scene before me was like a painting that was enchanted with magic. The landscape was made more magical when the black stallion of Berkut made its presence on the horizon, the setting sun acting as a halo behind them.

As Berkut rode up to the gate, his gaze found my own and his scowl from the days before melted into his warm smile that he only shows to me.

"Did I make you wait long, milady?" His horse stopped at my side and he dismounted the dark creature and had a nearby servant take him to the stable.

"I didn't wait too long. Massena kept me company as promised, but it wasn't the same without you."

Berkut and I walked inside the palace, wandering the halls and catching up on what the other missed in the days that passed.

"It turned out to be a complete waste of my time going out to the border. The only thing I found was a couple rigelian boys playing in the woods near the border. We had to escort them home and give multiple warnings to them and their mother." Berkut pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "It was such a nuisance that a prince shouldn't have to deal with yet. I was trained to fight battles, not to babysit."

I held his hand, squeezing a little. "You can fight all the battles you want, but at the end of the day if you become emperor, you'll have to settle domestic problems as well as fight."

"I'm not emperor yet, my lady." Berkut reveals a sly smile as he raises the hand joined with mine and twirled me around. "Maybe one day I'll be emperor, but Uncle thinks otherwise at this moment." He sighs, holding my hand in both of his. "At least I have you to stand beside me now."

"Yes, you do have me."

"I need to inform my uncle that I've returned."

"I'll go with you."

When we arrived at the throne room, the area was empty except for me and the prince.

"He must be out on some business. Massena will inform him, as he probably knows I'm here." Berkut steps in the direction of the gardens, still holding my hand. "Let's take a walk in the gardens for a while."

As we walked, Berkut and I took turns pointing out random things that caught our interest. Berkut pointed out numerous birds to me, sometimes telling me how he first found them.

I sat down by the water when we returned to the fountain, my thoughts wandering.

"(Y/n)" Berkut called to me, sitting down beside me. "It must get awfully boring being here by yourself."

I looked up at him for a second, nodding in agreement. "It does get lonely around here and sometimes boring."

Berkut glanced to the training field for a second before turning his attention back to me. "I have an idea, but it's completely your decision to make. We can train you in combat, and you can specialize in what you want once you have enough experience."

That sounds like a good idea.

(A/n: reader-chan will start off able to use any weapon, kind of like a freelance class.)

"That's a great idea, Berkut."

"Great. We will start tomorrow, then."