Change in purpose

"It seems you calmed the prince's attitude towards lower classes than his own. Well done, my dear." My uncle gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder, then excused himself to fetch himself a drink.

While Berkut was conversing with my brothers, I took the time to dance on my own with Rinea. There were several fast-paced dances being played for us and we danced without complaint. We were joined by a group of songstresses and dancers from foreign lands as well to perform with us.

Rinea seemed to enjoy dancing more than I, spending most of her days dancing in Uncle's garden while I had my nose in books or I would take the family horses out for a ride. That was, until I started living with Berkut in the palace. It's mostly the same, but has its own uniqueness to it.

Back to our dancing, I noticed the silver and onyx pronged horns of Berkut watching from the side of the room; a mere blur as I turned and continued our dance, winding down to the close. Rinea was the last to finish the dance, since she had a lead part in the performance. As she ended our dance, we were met with applause, the other dancers excusing themselves. I parted from Rinea, floating through the guests until I reached Berkut, his expression no longer blurry, but painted with amusement.

"You were beautiful, my lady. I would love to see you dance again one day." He took my hand, kissing the back and holding his position for a moment before returning to his upright stance.

"Thank you, Berkut. I haven't danced with Rinea in a long time; I usually have my nose in books."

Berkut smiles, taking my arm and walking out to a nearby balcony. "You can achieve anything you want, (Y/n), and I will support your decision to do whatever you want." He held my hand as he looked out into the night, intrigued by a flitting lightning bug or two in the distance.

"I'm happy as long as you're by my side, Berkut. You've helped me grow into the person I am today, and now I can take care of myself and protect the people that I care about." I smiled, watching him take in my words.

Berkut's face struggled to find an emotion to express as he tried to find words. "I won't be able to protect you all the time, (y/n), and I don't want you to think low of me for not being able to protect you. All I want is for you to be safe."

"I understand, Berkut. It's okay that you won't always be here to protect me, I know you try your hardest and that is all that can be asked of you."

Berkut let slip a smile, gently squeezing my hand and leading me back inside. "When the time comes, Alm and his ilk will attack Rigel castle. When that happens, I need you to hide in the catacombs under the palace, I will find you after the fight is over."

"Berkut, I'm afraid I can't do that. I want to fight at your side. We are stronger together than we are apart."

Berkut sighed. "You do have a point, but if it gets too dangerous, I want you to flee."

"I understand, and only if you promise to be careful."

"I swear on my pride."

I'm sorry this one's short, I'll try and make it up in the next one.