Adventure with Massena

The picture above is a drawing I did while writing this.

His eyes sparkled in the light of the afternoon sun, and never strayed from me, while his smile was the most genuine I've seen from him like he's marveling over a work of art that he would be able to see for the rest of his life.

"I'm glad to have you at my side, (y/n). With you, I will never have to prove my strength or worth to you by being cold and arrogant."

"You don't have to prove anything to me, Berkut. You don't have to be strong to catch my eye. You did that by just being yourself."
---------------------------------------------------------

After our complimenting session, Berkut put his horse away and walked me inside. It was getting late and it was dinner time.

As we entered the dining room, Emperor Rudolph greeted us as we took our seats at the large table and servants started bringing in the food.

"Massena tells me that you are improving at a faster rate than usual." Rudolph glances at Berkut, taking a sip of his drink.

Berkut smiles, looking up at his uncle with pride in his eyes. "Zeke is a good teacher. I have learned well from him." He takes a glance at me, smiling, before regaining his straight face and eating his dinner.

"Yes, he is a good teacher, but don't get too confident in your abilities because a woman is watching you. Overconfidence leads to your downfall, Berkut, and I will not tolerate that in battle." Rudolf glances over at me, his eyes a little softer, but regain their hardness when he returns his focus to the boy beside me.

"I will not fail you, uncle."

The two men continue conversing about work and Berkut's progress between bites of their meal, and I listen respectively even after I had finished my food.

Rudolph stands after finishing his plate, staring down at the young man beside me as we stand as well.

"I've instructed Zeke to take you and Jerome to patrol the border. There have been sightings of Zofians on our side of the border. You will leave tomorrow at dawn." The emperor dismisses us, not giving Berkut a chance to speak about the matter.

The young man turns to me, taking my hand and leading me upstairs to a guest room. "This will be your room from now on. I apologize for having to leave on short notice."

"It's fine, Berkut. I'll just have to explore on my own until you return. I'm sure someone will keep me company." I smile at his downcast face, reassuring him.

"Hm. . . Maybe Massena will keep you company. He's the captain of the personal guard here, but he's a big softie for women at times. I'm sure he would love to have your company until I return." Berkut kisses the back of my hand, bowing to me, then bids me goodnight.

---------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I wake up in the purple silk sheets of my new bed, nearly forgetting how I got here. Looking around, I finally take in the look of the room.

The wall behind me had nightstands on either side of my bed, and a vanity on the left side closest to what I'm guessing is a closet.

The wall to my right had a window with a wide edge suitable for reading at and beside that window there were double glass doors that led to a balcony overlooking the garden.

The wall across from me had a door leading to the bathroom, and book cases on the right side. A rocking chair was set beside the books with a small table in front of it.

Finally, the wall to my left had paintings of landscapes on either side of a door with a golden knob. A dresser was on the left side of the door, closer to the bed.

After taking in my surroundings, I notice a note on the nightstand with beautiful handwriting on it. Picking it up, I saw it was Berkut's writing. I never thought he would write this pretty.

Lady (y/n),

Excuse me for not being able to stay until you awoke. Uncle insisted I leave as soon as I had risen. I have informed Massena about you and he is excited to meet you. He will be waiting for you downstairs.

I shall return within a few days, milady.

Berkut

So this Massena is waiting for me. I mustn't keep him waiting any longer then. He seems to be nice.

Dressing myself in a dark blue dress and fixing up my hair, I left my room and made my way downstairs. Halfway down the steps, I find an older man in red armor that looks extremely heavy. He has a scar over one eye and his hardened face reveals a lot of experience in battle.

 He has a scar over one eye and his hardened face reveals a lot of experience in battle

(That's what he looks like if I didn't describe him perfectly)

The older man smiled up at me as I stepped down to him. "Good morning, lady (y/n). I'm Massena, commander of the personal guard, at your service." He bows halfway to me and extends a hand for me to take.

"Good morning, Massena. Berkut told me that you'll be accompanying me for the day." The man nodded to my statement.

"It'll be good for these old bones to keep the company of a beautiful young lass such as yourself. Lord Berkut told me a lot about you. He takes pride in having you here. Before you came, his ego was higher than ever and I had to put his trouble making self in his place a couple times." Massena chuckled at the thought.

"He seemed glad to have brought me here with him."

---------------------------------------------------------

Massena and I spent a lot of time together. He had let me ride one of the calvalry horses for a while, taken me into town to treat me to lunch, and even bought me some chocolates from a nearby candy store.

You could say that Massena thinks of me as one of his own children, and he even admitted it while taking me back to the palace.

"You remind me of a young girl I met a long time ago. She was like a daughter to me for a while until she passed away from a deadly illness. We couldn't do anything for her, but I made sure that she died the happiest girl in the world." Massena recalled a past memory to me, a smile never leaving his face.

"I'm sure she was a nice girl."

"Yes, she was."
---------------------------------------------------------

Okay, question time.

What class should reader chan become? It would be hard to make the story work with a lot of classes at once. Comment what class you think she should be