"Taking it easy"

"Easy, milord. He's gone now, so you can rest easy."

"So you say." I muttered, focusing my attention on the swarm of healers around (y/n)'s body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a few hours since the battle, and I never left (y/n)'s side unless Massena dragged me away to train. He insisted I learn how to use a sword, regardless of my proficiency with a lance as it could be advantageous if I ever lose my lance or dismount.

"That boy basically handed over the Rigelian royal sword, so why not use it, my lord? It is  your right to use it as the crown prince."

Massena lectures me as I attempt to understand the art of swordplay, blindly swinging the thing at first, but then learning how the blade moves and developing my fighting style.

"I know this, Massena, but it infuriates me how that worm had his hands on it this whole time!"

One last swing at the practice dummy and it fell into a heap of broken pieces, succumbing to my anger.

"Calm yourself, milord. Anger only leads to blindness, just like your pride leads you to be arrogant. That's enough training for today, so I shall leave you with (y/n) as I reconstruct the defenses."

Calming myself, I return this wretched blade to it's scabbard on my hip, taking one last look at my lance before rushing back to the medical center. She may have awakened while I was away and I would feel bad if she were to awaken alone.

"Welcome back, Lord Berkut. Lady (y/n) is fine, she is still resting-"

"Thank you, I shall see for myself her well-being."

The nurses left (y/n)'s side as I neared, taking the seat closest to her side and watching for any sign of her stirring. I took my gloves away from my hands, setting them on the table to the side. I took one of her hands in both of mine, holding it like it was glass and could break at any wrong move I made. Her hands were cold to the touch, a shiver temporarily capturing me.

Seeing her in this state sends fear straight to my core. I realized how afraid I was of losing her, but I can't understand why. Maybe I should consult Massena on this matter at a later time.

I gently locked her hand with just one of mine now, squeezing her small hand to give me a small grain of hope that she will wake. A pressure made itself known as I was focused on my worries, and when I looked back down, I saw that her hand had enclosed around mine, sort of, and her head had moved.

"(y-y/n)?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your POV

"(y-y/n)?" The familiar voice sounded through my ears, bringing me back to my senses as my eyes peeled open.

Berkut's blurry figure had my hand clasped in both of his being firmly squeezed, while his face was inches away from mine, close enough that his hair was tickling my face.

I mustered a smile and pulled him closer to me, my arms throwing themselves around his neck as I gave him the tightest hug I could muster. "Good morning, Berkut."

Berkut pulled me into a tight hug, holding me close to him and trying to hide his shaking body from me. "I thought I had lost you." Berkut fought back the oncoming sobs, combing his ungloved hands through my hair to comfort both him and myself. I nearly fell back asleep from this heavenly feeling, but kept myself awake. 

I was surprised that Berkut was acting like this since he's usually more prideful and doesn't display his emotions that much. I don't question it since both of us have just went through a traumatic experience one of us could have possibly died from, so I moved over in the small bed and pulled Berkut to sit beside me. He rested his head against my shoulder, and I subconsciously combed through his hair.

"I'm not going anywhere, Berkut. I'll always be right here." I whisper to him. I could see him try to lift his head up, but it slowly dipped back down onto my shoulder, his body relaxing beside me as he started drifting off.

It was my turn to look after him as I slept. He was battered and bruised from the battle, along with dark circles around his eyes from lack of rest.

As I watched over him, I noticed the glint of metal at his hip, my eyes finally starting to focus. My whole body tensed as the object came into focus. 

It may have been freshly polished, but some blood stains will always be forever imprinted on that blade, and it sent fearful shivers down my spine to see it so close to me now; the blade that nearly ended my life. It was here now, taunting me with it's fresh shine, and it new place at Berkut's side confused me. 

Why would he take this and use it, knowing that it nearly killed us?

"Massena suggested I learn to use a blade," Berkut stirred, pulling himself from my shoulder down to my chest, then resettled, "and considering that this sword belongs to Rigelian royalty, he started training me to use it." He held in a yawn, lazily looking up at me from his new resting spot, not noticing the growing blush on my face.

"I'm glad you're alright, (y/n)." He snaked his arms around my waist, pulling himself closer to me. "I don't know what I would do without you."

I decided to let Berkut take a short nap, and spent my time practicing my magic proficiency. Massena poked his head in every now and then, making sure we were alright and bringing me a glass of water and some sweets to eat while Berkut slept.

Berkut looked like an innocent child while he slept, without any struggle or pain, as if the world had done nothing to him except keep him untouched as he slept. (I shall try and draw this later and post it in next chap)

It didn't help much that his head was resting on my chest, but I was a bit too embarrassed to move him.

We'll probably be here a while.