Gradual Insanity

I opened the door to Berkut's room, allowing Massena to step through and carry Berkut to his bed and set him down.

"He should wake up any time, but I wouldn't doubt he'll sleep longer. Lord Berkut takes long naps after training sometimes." Massena smiles, taking his exit and closing the door behind him.

above is a project I did for digital art a long while ago. more of a child/chibi version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Massena left, I watched after Berkut for a while, being a little more worried than I needed to be. Multiple thoughts mixed together in my head, nothing ever forming a coherent thought.

I decided to distract myself with reading and migrating to the nearby window sill to glance outside if I wished as I read. I heard stirring and quiet groans from Berkut's direction every so often, but when I looked to check on him, he appeared to be perfectly fine. Not a single stress mark or wrinkle of discomfort dared show itself on his features.

"Oh, Berkut, why must you worry me so?"

I shook the worrying thoughts out of my head, setting the book down and heading to the door.

"You wouldn't want me worrying so much over a bit of exhaustion. You'd think me a worrywart."

I took one last glance at his face as I left, gently closing the door behind me and starting my trek down the hallway. Maybe a walk would do me some good.

The palace was near-deserted at this time. I was surprised at the absence of guards; it was almost alarming. Just in case, I prepared one of my tomes to use in battle, hiding a dagger in an easily accessible place. As I continued down the hallway, the silence became nervewracking. All of my thoughts told me to halt my progression, to return to Berkut's chambers and keep him safe, but I pushed on.

I entered the throne room to find an older man in bronze armor that looked similar to Rudolph's colors. In front of this man was Alm and they appeared to be in the midst of a discussion. 

"We need to stop Jedah from reviving Duma, before he causes any more chaos. I'm sure Celica is already below us in the temple of Duma."

"Celica is down there alone. She could be in trouble because we became separated."

The older man took Alm's shoulders and held him at arm's length away from him.

"Celica made her decision. The best you can do now is go after her and do what you can to help."

I turned and ran back down the hallway, not really caring if they heard me or not at this point. I needed to find Berkut now and warn him of their presence. I wish I could take Alm and that man down on my own, but I can't. I would just be practice to them at the level I am now.

It barely took me half the time to reach Berkut's room than I thought. I slipped through the door and shut it quickly behind me.

"Berkut, that Alm boy is here with someone-" I halted mid-thought as I realized that I was alone in the room. Berkut's bedsheets were thrown on the floor and various books and other items were misplaced. What concerned me was that his lance was still here.

It seems now that I don't have much choice in confronting Alm and that man. Perhaps Berkut left and was heading the same way. Hopefully, I can find them before he gets hurt.

With each passing moment that I rushed down the stairs to the temple of Duma, my fear and worry grew. The only motivation for me to continue was the hope that I would find Berkut and be able to get him out of here. 

There came a fork in the hallway, and I chose to take the one to the left, remembering it will get me further inside faster. I could see a giant flame edging closer, and yells of frustration. As I edge closer to the light, I see two figures, one being female and familiar in form.

"I need more power! I'm not strong enough for anyone in this damned place and I can't even stand on equal ground as that stupid boy!" Berkut's bellowing reached me as I got closer. It seemed like the more I ran, the longer it took me to get there, but I had to continue.

The figures blur as I will myself to go faster, losing sight of the female and only the one figure remains, walking to the fire.

"Lord Berkut, what in the gods' name are you doing???" That sounded like one of the traitors from Alm's army that we recruited a while back. Fernand or something? 

I finally reach inside the chamber they are in, and everything clears up for me.

Berkut has a new lance in hand, and a familiar fur covering is laid on the floor. Fernand is backing away from Berkut, as something emerges from the flames: a witch. As I got closer, my eyes widened in horror. That witch was Rinea.

Berkut laughed, and the new Rinea attacked Fernand as he fled, leaving a large wound on him. He wouldn't make it far, we all knew that, and I couldn't save him.

I had to control my fear. This wasn't my Berkut I had met so long ago. Something was poisoning his mind.

"Berkut! Stop this! What did you do to Rinea!?"

I advanced on him, containing my fear as his eyes fell upon me. Rinea floated above him, watching me and giggling like she used to when we were children.

"You shouldn't have come down here, (y/n)."

"And why not? I'm supposed to be watching after you since you're in no condition to fight!"

"I don't need you to babysit me anymore, girl! I have a new power given to me by lord Duma, and I will kill anything that gets in my way." His eyes have a reddened hue to them now, and he is giving off a deadly aura. Rinea giggles above him, taunting me.

"Berkut, don't do this. You are far better than this! You have so many that look up to you and depend on you!"

Berkut points his new lance at me, a demonic lance with an eye in the base of the blade. 

"No one cares about me, a prince that lost everything to a boy that didn't even know his heritage!"

I just stared in awe at how much he has changed in a matter of minutes.

"Berkut," I start, standing right in front of the spear and feeling it poking into my armor, "if I didn't care about you, then I wouldn't be here, practically risking my life for you to come back to me."

I could faintly hear Alm and that older man down the hallway. I need to make this quick and get Berkut out of here.

"If the time we spent together, all of the times you helped me train, the times you spent with me in the gardens... if that doesn't mean anything to you," I take hold of the lance with both hands, "then strike me down. If you truly believe that I mean nothing."

I stared the man I had grown attached to, the man that was not overtaken by a dark power that had also killed Rinea for his own gain. I showed no fear in this moment, refusing to show any weakness in the face of death. There were only two outcomes to this: Berkut regaining himself, or I die trying.