79

grae: so this fic is #631 in fanfiction now. i don't know how that happened but thank you so much for the votes and comments uwu

dan

no matter how many times i rewatched the great gatsby, i never found it boring. i could watch the same scene over and over and i'll never get bored of it.

but it isn't the case this time.

the moment phil arrived, he seemed so... fidgety and awkward. i think he's even avoiding to look directly on my eye. i tried to smile and hug him but he didn't wrap his arms around me the way he used to. i tried cuddling up to him but he went rigid the moment i touched him. i don't know if he's just surprised with my actions but i moved away in case i was making him uncomfortable.

and that's why we're uncharacteristically quiet on the living room couch while watching the great gatsby. this should have been the part when phil tells me how much he despises daisy and how she doesn't deserve jay. but nope, he's being quite as hell.

i don't like it.

"phil?" i tentatively placed a hand on his thigh and this didn't seem to phase him a bit, only answering with a quiet hum.

"we're okay, right?" i bit my lip. phil seemed nonplussed by this, finally looking at me, "i—of course we are. why wouldn't we be?"

it was my turn to look down this time, "it's just that, i thought we're fine but you suddenly started acting distant and—"

"dan,"

when my eyes met his, i was relieved to see that he didn't look as distant as i was expecting. the smile plastered on his face is hesitant but it was better than i had anticipated.

he sighed, "i'm sorry. i was just really nervous."

i almost laughed at that, "nervous? phil, it's just me."

"it's... um... never mind." he slowly got up from the couch, "i'll just go."

"wait!" i was quick to grab his hands, "i thought you were going to tell me something."

"maybe i'll just tell you another time." he scratched the back of his neck. is he just fidgety today or i didn't just pay more attention to his mannerisms?

i slid my hand up to his arms and yanked him down harshly. he let out a yelp and i tried not to giggle at the sound.

"you came all the way here to talk to me. you can't just go."

"yes i can."

"no"

"yes"

"n—"

"fine!" i bit back a smile and settled properly on the couch. "so?" i urged him on.

"i just want to ask if i—you." he gulped, "no, i—" he paused, looking unsure of what he's about to say.

"dan," he took ahold of my right hand. "w-will you—" my eyes widened as realisation came over me. he's really about to ask me that? i'm not dreaming, am i?

"you're asking me to be your boyfriend?" i asked, my eyes probably glistening as i look at him like a lovesick puppy.

he let go of my hand, my mouth slightly agape, "you're supposed to wait for me to complete the question." he whined, "you ruined it. i hate you."

"no, no. replay. go back to the start and i'll pretend like i don't know what you came here for."

"can't." he said, red tinting his cheeks as he brought his knees to his chest and averting his gaze to the floor beneath us.

"phil, come on!" i pulled childishly on his shirt. "hint: i won't say no."

his response was immediate, looking at me like i did the unthinkable.

"go on!"

he sighed, "i can't believe you." i giggled at that.

once again, he took ahold of my hand. he interlocks our fingers together in a way that made my heart go crazy. he lifted my chin so i'm looking directly on his eyes, he's looking at me with so much fervor that i can't quite take in yet.

"dan, will you be my boyfriend?"

i let out the smile that i've been holding and nodded my head earnestly. i was going to say something along the lines of "yes, i'll be your boyfriend." but that was soon forgotten when phil pulled me to a bone crushing hug. i giggled and wrapped my arms around his neck, i nuzzled against it like i always do and he hummed contentedly.

"thank you," i heard him say.

"you don't have to thank me. i've been waiting for you ask me that question for so long." i muttered against his neck, grinning.

the hug only lasted for a few seconds. both of us looking at each other with a wide smile plastered on our faces.

i'm not sure who leaned in first but before i know it, we're kissing. this isn't my first kiss but this feels so much more special than my first one. i felt him nibble my lower lip, sucking on it gently. i swallowed back a moan, my hands fisting into the material of his clothing. i went helpless on his hold, nearly going limp on his arms. i almost let out a whine when he swiped his tongue experimentally on my lips. i opened my mouth, granting him access. he moved his hand down on my hips, squeezing gently.

we only pulled away when the need for air grew immense. both of us breathing heavily whilst still smiling.

for a few moments, we just sat there smiling. still taking everything in. until i leaned into him and rested my head on his shoulders, hugging him again. the laugh he let out is beautiful. i felt content when i felt him place hind hand on my waist.

god, do i love this boy.