102

daniel is calling...

[answer]

"dan, you finally called! are you okay now? i was wondering—"

"phil." i paused. is he angry at me? i've been thinking for days that maybe he is. did i do something stupid?

"yes?"

the other line went quiet, i almost thought he ended the call until i heard faint rustling of the sheets.

"are you cheating on me?"

i went completely still. am i cheating on him? why would i do that? why does he think i'm cheating on him? have i been unconsciously flirting with someone?

"dan, why would you think that?"

"i don't know, i just feel like you are."

i felt anger building up inside me but i tried to wait for it to dissipate until i spoke. calm down, phil. dan has a lot on his plate right now, be an understanding boyfriend.

"dan, i didn't. i wouldn't. where's all this coming from?"

"i don't know, maybe you just seem too close to the new history teacher. i even saw you holding her hand before but i decided to ignore it because i believed that you really just wanted to help her. but now, i'm not really sure if i want to believe you."

"oh, for fucks sake"

"is that all you have to say? you cheat on me and you fucking act like i'm spewing nonsense?

"dan, listen, i'm not cheating on you, i swear to god—"

"you fucking live with her phil! what does that mean?"

"how did you know that?"

"that's fucking great then, it's true, isn't it?"

"how did y—"

"it doesn't matter how i knew it! all i can think of is how you—"

"dan no—"

"and that's illegal, phil! are you even thinking?"

"if you'll just listen—"

"no, i'm done listening. you can't fool me with your lies anymore. i'm fucking done. we're over."

[call ended]