The New Life

Beorhtsige was being serious about having a healer and midwife living with us. Both women came the next day, he worked fast.

The healer prepared all the food that Asta was to eat, and the midwife was always making sure that the baby was healthy. Asta wasn't liking the attention, she believed that whatever needs to happen it will happen.

"I cannot handle this anymore, Elfleda. Your brother needs to stop this, I cannot even move without one of them watching every move of mine. It is exhausting." She sighs and put her hands on her stomach, even though it's too early to see a baby bump yet.

I knew she was angry because she never referred Beorhtsige as 'your brother' unless she was angry.

"He is just trying to protect you, and your child. Please, all of this makes him feel better. Knowing that you are being taken good care of." I play with her hair and she nodded, knowing I'm right, but that doesn't make her feel less annoyed.

The healer was very strict with Asta, she was drinking a lot of tea full of herbs, and walking every day around the house barefoot. She was eating three times a day, it didn't matter if Asta wasn't hungry, she had to eat.

Asta on the other hand only wanted to sleep the whole day, she was moody because of the walking and the food. She screamed at the healer every single day, it is funny to watch, but I'm starting to get worried, she shouldn't be so stressed.

I was going to handle this, I need to convince my brother to make the healer and the midwife go away.

It was early in the morning and my brother already left for his shop, it wasn't far from our house, so I decided to walk there.

When I entered the shop, I could see my brother with a beautiful sword. I was immediately drawn to it, it is so beautiful.

It had intricate details of gold and bronze that were done beautifully. It had to be made by my brother, it was too perfect.

Beorhtsige realized that I was staring and clears his throat, snapping me out of my trance.

"It was supposed to be a surprise, I was going to give you as a gift." He smirked and put the sword on the table.

"It is for me? It is so beautiful, and I love it, thank you so much." I said to him as I hugged him.

I love my brother so much, I don't know what I would do without him, he is everything to me.

"You are welcome, I made it especially for you. I did everything from scratch, and it took me a while but it was worth it." He kissed my cheek and put the sword in my hand.

"Now tell me, why are you here? You almost never come here." He frowns at me.

"Beorhtsige, Asta is really angry about the healer and midwife. I do not think that it is good for the child, she needs to rest. She needs peace." I tried to reason.

But Beorhtsige is the most stubborn person I know. 

"I know it may not be easy, but I am doing this for their safety." He rubs the back of his neck while looking at the ground.

"I know that and Asta knows that too. But she is not happy, she is constantly screaming and I am starting to worry. She is not like this, please send them away." I put my hands on his arms, giving him a small smile.

"Are you sure that she is not happy?" His face stern and I nodded.

"Elfleda, you and her will be the death of me. I need a son to help me with you two." He kisses my forehead and went back to work.