Chapter 10

Chapter 10
Pales POV

We raced down the streets of the small village and the city until we reached the palace.
When we reached the throne room a King, who was my dad, sat before is on the golden throne.
He looked just like he did in my dreams. Black hair and green eyes.
His trident was a lot larger than Matthew's. It makes sense really, he's a King and Matt is a Prince.
"Hello Pale," the King said.
"Hey dad," I said. Surprisingly, I didn't feel uncomfortable calling the King of the ocean my dad.
"Can Pearl sleepover?" I asked.
"What's a sleepover?" Dad asked.
"Did Mom teach you anything about humans?" I joked. "Can Pearl sleep in my room for a couple of days? Her mom and sister Pisces are missing."
Dad rubbed his chin. "Okay," he said. "And Pearl."
Pearl bowed to the King.
"I'll send out a search party of only my highest guards to search for your family," Dad said.
"King," Pearl said politely. "I don't think you need to do that."
"But I insist," Dad said.
I could tell Pearl was having deep thoughts.
"Okay, if you say so," Pearl said.
"C'mon," I said to Pearl as I grabbed her wrist and pulled her up the stairs.
"Is a sleepover another human thing?" Pearl asked when we got to the top of the polished gold stairs.
"Yeah," I said.
"Your so lucky you get to see humans. It's forbidden for us to see them," Pearl said.
"Well, what about James, Pisces' saw him," I said.
Pearl shrugged. "She did it illegally. We aren't supposed to date humans," Pearl said.
"I don't know if I'm lucky," I said.
I know from my own experiences that people are very arrogant and think they are very stellar, even though there not.
"You are lucky," Pearl said with a sigh. "I just wish I could see them up close."
I tapped my chin.
"Can mermaids go outside the kingdom?" I asked.
A wide, mischievous smile spread across my face.
"Yeah, as long as if you don't get into any trouble," Pearl said her eyes were still sad.
"Well, tomorrow there is a surf competition, would you like to go see it? We can watch it from this big rock. No one will see us," I said.
Pale solved the problem.
Aw yeah!
"What's a surf competition?" Pearl asked.
"It's where people try and stand up on plastic boards while large waves try to push them off," I said.
Sure I didn't know the exact rules of surfing, but that is a pretty good explanation.
"Yay!" Pearl exclaimed. "I'm going to see humans!"
Pearl swam happily down the hallway.
"Last door on the left!" I called out.
Pearl giggled happily and opened the door to my room.
"Hey!" I called out. "I want to see my room first!"
I raced down the hallway, pushing Pearl into the wall.
I'm so classy.
Pearl regained herself and bounded after me.
I twisted the door to my room and opened it. Surprisingly, it wasn't heavy at all.
I opened the door and my jaw dropped.
Being a princess had it's perks.
A large seaweed silk bed was in the center of the room, but white, majestic headboard was pressed against the wall.
A large purple couch was back against the opposite wall, and next to it was a large brown door, which I'm guessing is the closet.
The thing that really amazed me was a round sea stone balcony, looking over the streets of the big city.
"Hey I can see my house from here!" Pearl said as she swam to the balcony.
She pointed into the horizon.
I nodded.
She sat down on my bed as I pulled the couch next to the bed.
"So," Pearl said, laying down on my bed, tail flapping in the water. "Do you miss back home?"
I laughed. "Why do you want to know about humans so much now? I thought you hated them."
Pearl shrugged. "That was the old Pearl, now this is the new Pearl."
I laughed. "Date a human?" I asked raising one eyebrow.
"I hope," Pearl said rolling on her back.
I rolled my eyes.
"Are you going to be living here for the rest of your life?" Pearl asked.
I nodded. "I guess so."
Pearl laughed as rolled on her stomach.
"Why do humans not like the water? What's wrong with it?" Pearl asked.
I shrugged. "I don't know why anyone wouldn't like it."
"Think hard," Pearl said. "Why would a human not like the water?"
I smiled mischievously. "If I was honest would you go back to being old Pearl?"
Pearl shrugged.
"Fair enough," I said.
I took a deep breath in. "I know people don't like the water because animals pee in it."
"Mermaids don't pee," Pearl said.
"So I've been told."
Pearl rolled her eyes.
"Anyway...some people don't like the water because they just don't like the beach in general. Or there scared of the creatures that live in the ocean like sharks and stuff," I said.
"I know what they mean," Pearl said. "Sharks, always eating innocent mermaids."
I furrowed my eyebrow.
"Sharks eat mermaids?" I asked.
"Yeah," Pearl said. Her eyes began to tear up. "I used to have a little sister, Sailor, but when she was four, she got eaten by a shark. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was swimming alone with Sailor, then all of a sudden, the sharks surrounded us. I knew the dangers of the sharks but Sailor didn't. A shark came up to her and she thought it was a game, when I turned around, she was gone."
I stared at her.
"Why didn't the sharks eat you?" I asked her.
"That's what I have been trying to figure out ever since the incident. Sharks never seemed to notice me."
An theory ran through my mind.
"Hey Pearl," I asked. Pearl turned her head in my direction.
"Yes?" She said.
"What color was Sailor's tail?" I asked Pearl.
Pearl hesitated.
"Listen Pale, I really don't want to talk about it right now," Pearl said.
"Come on, tell me," I pleaded.
Pearl sighed. "Okay, a dull burnt orange."
My heart sank. I was expecting Sailor to have a bright tail, that way the sharks would be attracted to her more than Pale with her duller, yellow tail.
I glanced out the balcony.
"Hey, how do you determine time here?" I asked.
"We use the sun and the moon," Pearl replied. "It's about time to go to bed."
"Good."
I yawned.
"I'm really tired," I said.
Pearl moved around on the bed trying to get comfortable, while I took the bed.
The seaweed silk sheets were even more comfortable than the bedding back home.
They felt soothing, and surprisingly didn't feel two uncomfortable, considering I have scales under here.
I could hear Pearl breathing softly next to me on the couch.
My first night underwater, and tomorrow, I will see humans, finally.