Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Pale's POV

"Sup girl," Pearl said as she emerged from underwater.

I put my hands on your hips.

"Why were you on a boat?" I asked.

"Chill okay? It was my sisters boyfriend, he knows me," Pearl said.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay fine, are you ready for the surf competition?"

Pearl smiled widely. "Oh yes!!" She yelled.

She looked back on the boat and saw three men laughing, drinking root beer and eating chips.

God how can I see that far?

"So," Pearl said. "Where is the competition?"

"Right on the beach of Bermuda, right near your rock, but closer," I said.

Matthew and I used to climb on the rock all the time and watch the surf competition. But something else struck my mind. We were human back then, why wouldn't that rock be populated with a different pair of human kids?

We ducked under the waves together and side by side we swam. I honestly didn't care if kids were populating our spot, I was giving Pearl some happiness she hasn't really had since her family going missing. For all I know and for all Pearl knows, Pisces and her mom could be dead, have amnesia or worse, I didn't know what could be worse, but anything is really possible, I mean for gods sake I'm a mermaid.

We kept on swimming till the rock was in view.

I heaved myself out of the water, but Pearl didn't. She looked in front of the rock instead at the shore.

"Pearl what's wrong?" I asked.

"We are really close to the shore," Pearl said.

"Yeah okay I know, but I used to go here all the time," I stated.

"Yeah," Pearl said. "But back then you were human we're not."

"Listen. I'm sorry Pearl if your not happy with my seating arrangements but this is all we have," I said.

Pearl sighed. "Okay."

The surfing competition started a little while later.

Men and women all paddled out into the water and then jumped on to the plastic boards and tried to ride the waves. To be honest, it was really boring. I used to ride the waves all the time and I was really stepping up my game this year. It felt sad that I couldn't ride a surfboard anymore.

I looked over at Pearl. Her eyes were wide and her mouth was hanging open with excitement. At least she felt happy. That made my feel better.

"Ooh and Joshua Malik wipes out!" The person on the loudspeaker said.

"Aw!" Pearl said.

I sighed with relief. At least she didn't yell, someone might discover us.

Another surfer wiped out.

"Hey what's that?" Pearl said pointing to a piece of paper that floated down and now sat on top of our rock.

"I don't know," I said reaching towards the paper.

"It's blank?" I said when my had grasped the piece, careful not to be seen.

I held the piece up to the sunlight.

"Oh," I said. Writing was on the back of it.

I flipped it over.

I scanned the content.

Pearl leaned in. "What does it say?" She asked.

A tear rolled down my cheek. I ducked under the waves and disappeared into the aqua water taking the paper with me.