Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Pale's POV

Pearl and I raced home to the palace. We got back so late everyone was asleep.

I felt drawn to my bed and sunk into it, fell asleep, and didn't even wait for Pearl to say goodnight.

***

I saw my mom carrying something wrapped in a blue blanket down a dock. It was dark, it must have been midnight.

My mother looked young. Maybe only 30 years old.

I looked at the thing swaddled in the blue blanket.

It was a baby.

It's brown eyes were mesmerizing, probably the most gorgeous I've ever seen. It had thick brown hair that was longer than most babies.

It was me.

My mom approached the end of the dock.

Something came out of the sea. I looked at it. It was my father.

Bare chested, holding a glowing bronze trident in his hands, much like Matt's but bigger, I couldn't see his tail, but the dock has pretty deep waters around it.

"Let me see her," my dad said slowly, his voice only making a whisper sound.

His arms stretched out as my mom handed him me.

He took off my blue blanket (yes okay, I was wearing baby footsie pjs) and handed the cloth to my mom.

He started into my eyes.

"She's going to make a good siren," he said.

"Listen," my mom finally said. "I know once they turn fourteen there tails are permanent but, I don't want my child to become a mermaid and leave me forever."

I could see tears streaming down her face.

My dad gently touched my face.

"She's going to make a good siren," my dad said. Ignoring my mom.

"Neptune-"

"She's going to make a good queen of the sea to," My dad.

My moms face was red. "NEPTUNE!!!" My mom screamed. He looked up. "I don't want my daughter to be a mermaid okay? I don't want her to be."

My dad looked cross. "Than have another child."

My moms face was coated with tears. "Do you have any emotion?" My mom cried. "What about the next kid? Is he, she going to turn into some dumb fish sooner or later? Or how about not knowing she had a sister?"

"Jennifer, I'm sorry," my dad said. "Okay I know this is hard for you. But I understand."

My mom sniffled. "I'm sorry, I'm just been messed up lately. I mean, like, this is all real and I have a child, that's a fish but not a fish and then there's the merman right here infront of me that apparently is who I'm 'married to' and whatever even if where not married because you can't wear wedding bands and we can't go I to each other's worlds and stuff and get married with suits and bride dresses and stuff like that."

My dad nodded.

"Anyway," he said. "What did you name her?"

"Paleren, like you wanted," my mom said. "I enjoy calling her Pale, not many people are named Paleren."

"It's more if a mer name yes," my dad said.

My dad gently lowered me into the water. I giggled as my back hit the water.