Chapter 25 - Hot and Cold

When I woke up, the room was burning up! I threw off the covers that were cooking me alive but the room still felt like it was an oven. That's it I thought. I opened my eyes to see the room was glowing bright orange.

"Can someone turn down the heat?" I fanned my face with my hand in an effort to cool down.

"No, not really,"Gale panted. She was slumped in a chair and sweating like an animal.

"It's one of the battles in the arena," Reiki explained. "It's Saber Tooth versus Blue Pegasus. I'm guessing that the Saber Tooth member is trying to counter Eve's snow magic with lava."

"We're burning up!" Kali screeched dramatically as she flew across the room.

"There's nothing we can do right now until the match is over." Reiki surmised.

Storm sighed loudly and switched into his battle form with icy white hair and pale skin. He was already shirtless from an earlier attempt to cool off. 

"Hey ice head," I called. "Do you mind dropping the temperature a bit?"

Storm smirked and stood. "With pleasure," he slammed his fist into his palm and an icy mist filled the room.

"Don't go overboard Storm," Reiki warned.

"Sure thing boss," Storm smirked. The cold steam coming from his hands got larger. Everyone leaned in closer to the cold breeze like bugs mesmerized by the light. It was so refreshing and cool on my face compared to the hot room.

"This feels great," Gale said.

"Thanks Storm," I sighed. I looked at him in the eyes, those bright blue eyes that I always got lost in. His pupils got larger as they landed on mine and I couldn't look away. My heart was racing as I noticed we were less than a foot away from each other. Storm swallowed hard and I noticed his blushing cheeks.

There was a flash of light and the once refreshing breeze turned bitter cold as everything was coated in ice. I shrieked and retreated for the blankets that now had a frosty layer over them.

Gale was frozen stiff in her chair at the sudden change of temperature. Kali scurried into the tent of blankets I had around me. Reiki just shivered and breathed into his hands to warm them.

"That is what I would call overboard," Reiki hissed.

"I'm sorry guys! I didn't mean to," Storm cried.

"I-it's o-k-k-kay," I shivered.

"TURN IT BACK!!!" Gale screeched angrily. She tackled Storm and proceeded to grab him by the collar and jerk him back and forth all while yelling at him to change the room back to the way it was.

Just then the door that had been frozen shut started to glow orange. At first I just thought it was my mind playing tricks on me, but soon felt the subtle warmth coming from it.

"Uh guys," No one heard me, Gale kept yelling at Storm who was still being shaken by her. Reiki tried to pull Gale off of Storm, but the girl held fast.

I glanced back at the door just in time to see it crack and burst into splinters of wood and ice. I pulled the blanket over my head in an effort to shield myself from the flying debris. I heard wood and ice shatter and hit the ground around me along with the screeches of alarm coming from my teammates.

"I told you we didn't need to break down the door Natsu!"

"We got in didn't we?"

I pulled down the blanket to see Natsu and Lucy standing in the doorway. I breathed a sigh of relief as the temperature of the room returned to normal. I fell back onto the bed glad that that mess was over.