16.

//warning: I used Pat's full name in this chapter, but only because I thought it was necessary//

Edd woke to a bright, fluorescent light and the constant sound of a beeping machine. He felt strangely heavy and his skull pounded with every creak of the room. Slowly, he shifted his head to the side, squinting, attempting to make out his surroundings.

It was weird. His head felt clearer than it had in months.

The room he was in appeared to be some sort of lab, although it was different from the ones at the asylum. It was smaller, but filled with a lot more advanced technology.

He blinked and tried to sit up before realizing that his wrists and ankles were bound to a metal table. Panicked, he called for help within his mind, but with a sinking feeling of dread (or was it relief?) he realized he could no longer feel the voice's presence. He was alone.

~*~

Tord shifted uncomfortably. Ever since they had strapped Edd on the lab, Pau and Pat had been watching the communist intently. Tord could tell that they wanted more reasoning as to why they had kidnapped a mental patient.

"Sooo..." He began awkwardly, "You both already know why I had to get him."

"Yeah, yeah," Pau responded, "a demon or whatever. But why would it choose Edd as a host, of all people?"

Tord took an inward breath of relief. This was an easy question. He thought they were going to ask something hard like 'how do you know about demons, Tord'.

"Well, you see," Tord started,"Edd's mental and physical state were unstable, creating an aura of darkness around him. The demon would've stayed hidden in that darkness for a few months until it learned what makes Edd tick. Then it would appeal to Edd's desires, easily slipping into the role of 'best friend', and finally creating a punishment and reward system that will ultimately give it control over everything in Edd's life."

Pau nodded with understanding, but Pat still looked confused.

"Punishment and reward system?"

Tord facepalmed. "The black goop, Pat."

"But then what's the reward?"

"Oh, I don't know, Patryck, perhaps kind words and guidance to whatever the hell Edd wants."

"Okay, jeez. You don't have to get so snappy with me. PMS much?"

Tord shot him a glare before turning out of the room. "I'm going to make sure we have all the equipment. Then tomorrow, we start on Edward."

~*~

Tom sighed hopelessly when he found no clues as to who the kidnappers were outside the asylum. He didn't really think that they would actually find anything, but he had figured that some time out of the apartment would be good for Matt.

He glanced over at said ginger and smiled slightly when he saw the look of pure determination on his face. He was looking under stones and boxes. It was a relief, seeing him without an expression of complete sadness or just... blank nothingness.

"C'mon, Matt," he called across the parking lot, "Let's call it a day."

Matt looked over at him and then down at the rock before nodding. He placed the stone back down and jogged over to the spikey haired man, grabbing onto his hand tightly, and letting him lead the way to the car.

//guess this chapter's theme, kids! First to comment it gets an ice cream emoji.//