22.

It was about 2am when Matt heard a knock at the door.

He lifted his head, blinking blearily. He had fallen asleep on Tom's chest while binge watching The Children.

He poked Tom repeatedly until the Brit opened his eyes.

"Huh?"

"Someone's at the door," Matt whispered.

Tom looked up at the clock. Who the fuck goes to people's houses this early?

Grumbling, he stumbled sleepily to the door and opened it a crack.

Not really paying attention, he said, "Look, buddy, if you came here looking for a sale on crack, you got the wrong-"

"I need your help."

Tom stopped and finally focused on the stranger, taking in his appearance. He was soaked from head to toe from the storm, and his eyes held a number of different emotions.

Tom let out a sigh. "Come in, then."

The man's mouth quirked up slightly and he sighed in relief. "Thank you."

Tom gestured him inside and the man gladly did so.

Matt bounded over with a towel, having listened to the conversation and seeing how sopping wet the stranger was. "Here you go!"

The three got situated at the table and the man took a breath. "First of all, my name is Pau, spare your introductions, I already know who you two are."

Matt and Tom exchanged confused glances. "You do?"

"Yes. And I know where your friend is."

~*~

Pat stared at Tord who was still gripping the gun.

"Wh-what did you do?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it," the Norwegian mumbled, sliding the gun back in his pocket. He shot Pat a dangerous glare and brushed past him into the lab.

Pat felt tears well in his eyes when the horrifying- and strangely warped- screams started up again. And this time, Pau wasn't there for him to lean on. He shuffled to the couch and buried his face in his hands.

He couldn't take much more of this. At least in the Army, the Lab was too far away to hear the subjects.

He sniffled as gross sobs wracked his body. He wanted out and he wanted to take Edd with him, but...

How?