21.

"Listen, Tord. You gotta take it easy on Edd. I don't know what you're doing in there, but I can hear the screams! You're going to... to kill him." Pau had sat Tord down at their small dining room table.

Tord huffed indignantly. "I know what I'm doing. You're in no place to tell me that what I'm doing is wrong. I am helping my friend."

"Just listen to me for one sec-"

"No! You listen to me! We may not be part of the Red Army anymore, but I am still your leader!" Pau gritted his teeth as Tord stood up. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." he turned to leave.

Pau shot to his feet and grabbed Tord's arm. The Norwegian froze, eyes narrowing. Pau gasped upon realizing his mistake and pulled back quickly.

"I'm sorry,  sir! I didn't mean to! I won't do it again, I-"

"Pau." Tord's voice was cold; emotionless. He turned his head slowly towards the shorter man. "You have questioned my authority, argued with me, and now you have threatened me."

Pay shivered, avoiding the communist's gaze. "I just... I was trying to-"

"Leave."

"Wh- what?"

"You heard me. If you are so opposed to my plan to help my best friend, then you can leave. Leave, and don't ever, ever come back."

"But-"

"That's an order."

Pau's expression hardened. "Pat won't stand for this."

"I don't give a damn about what Pat wants! Or what either of you want! I want you to get out of my sight!" Tord turned completely, pointing a gun at Pau's head. His eyes were wild. He looked insane.

Pau's eyes widened and he stumbled over himself to get away. Finally, he balanced himself and escaped through the front door.

Tord breathed heavily, watching his right-hand flee in terror from him. Tord lowered the gun to his side and ran a shaky hand through his tufts of hair. He couldn't believe he just did that. A hysterical laugh bubbled up from his throat.

The whooshing of the lab door distracted him. He tilted his head around in time to see Pat step out into the open. The older man looked concerned

" I heard yelling. What happened? Where's Pau?"

~*~*~*~

Pau ran through the streets as fast as he could. It was raining heavily, and his feet had slipped more than once. Where he was going was insignificant at that point. He was panicking, scared not only for himself, but for Pat, who he had left behind.

Eventually, he slowed down to catch his breath. 'You're a coward,' he thought to himself, 'You barely even tried.'

But Tord did have a gun. Trying to do something would've been suicidal.

'Yeah, and you left Pat there with that sicko.'

He groaned, pressing his fists against his eyes. What was he supposed to do?!

He sighed and hugged his arms around himself. He continued walking aimlessly through the storm, guilt welling up inside of him.

Eventually, after who knows how long, his feet dragged to a stop in front of a somewhat familiar apartment building.

His subconscious had solved his dilemma.

A plan had formed in his mind. He knew how to save Edd and get Pat out safe and alive.

He just needed a couple people to help out.