Dilemmas of Time

Dr. John Watson smiled tiredly at Rosie as he arrived from the clinic, relieving her of his best friend and partner Sherlock Holmes. She gurgled happily in greeting and grabbed at her father's face as he planted a few kisses around her face. Upon closer inspection he noticed a pale pink powder dusted over, "Sherlock, what is this dust?"

"Experiment-"

"Of course," John sighed, holding Rosie in one arm so that he could dust her off. Sherlock sat down in his chair and assumed his prayer position, but the audible sigh that followed belied his calmness, "What is it, Sherlock? Did Rosie not have a good day?"

"She did. In fact she is now remembering to not throw the rattle at me." Sherlock leaned his head forward.

"Then... what?" John sat down opposite the famous detective, reluctant to press.

Sherlock opened his eyes, "It is getting harder to care for Rosie when we are out on cases."

"So? We've been doing just fine so far. Molly and Mrs Hudson have been able to watch her when we do have a case or when I'm at work." John responded.

"We have, but Molly is having a terrible time rushing here on a moment's notice to babysit. And Mrs Hudson is getting out and about more, so she can't always be here." John nodded in relent, recognizing Sherlock's argument.

"True."

They sat silently for a stretch and John busied himself with Rosie. Sherlock sighed again.

"John."

"What?"

The detective shifted, "I think you know what I'm saying."

Again the Army Doctor nodded, this time with a forlorn air. They both knew that this discussion had to happen eventually, but it wasn't a light matter.

"If Mary was still alive..," John sniffled a bit. Sherlock stiffened. Mary's untimely passing had been devastating and while they had reconciled, Sherlock and John were only beginning to heal, "If she were here then it wouldn't be so hard."

"But we need to talk about this- for Rosie and Mary both." Sherlock managed to say. The two inhaled deeply. John held Rosie tightly.

"Okay. We need help," They nodded in unison. Sherlock remained silent, surrendering the conversation to his counterpart, "But... it feels so... wrong. Mary should be here. Letting someone else near Rosie just..." The doctor teared up and massaged his temples with one hand.

Heavy silence fell again.

"But we need to make sure that Rosie has someone to look after her when we're out. Mary would want Rosie to have the best care because then we could focus on being..."

"Ourselves?" Sherlock finished with a gentle tone. After Mary's death and making amends with Eurus, he had softened.

"Yes." John fell silent again, allowing Sherlock to speak.

"I have been thinking, John, about solutions to our time dilemma."

"Go on."

"I think that the best solution would be to hire a full time nanny." John squirmed.

"NANNY?"

"We need someone who can be on call and here even before we have a case."

"They're ridiculously expensive!" John took a few breaths, "But we do need someone who will consistently be here with Rosie. A regular babysitter is difficult to pin at the last second."

"Yes. The nanny would have to be close by and be comfortable with staying here for long periods."

They exchanged glances, "Sherlock, with everything that happens to us, we'd need a nanny with nerves of steel."

"Of course. I would only approve of a nanny who is capable of protecting Rosie and Mrs Hudson, and adapt to our lifestyle."

"But is there such a nanny?" John groaned, scratching his head. Sherlock resumed his prayer pose.

"There has to be one somewhere," He leaned closer to John, "And we won't hire anyone that you or Rosie disapprove of. It will ultimately be your decision. Rosie is your daughter."

John nodded solemnly and then carried Rosie into the nursery. He called back, "We'll start searching tomorrow morning."

"Of course."