Official [FINAL]

Sherlock would have protested, but nodded and gestured for Susanna to exit before him, "Perfect. We can see Brent off together and tell Lestrade."

"You mean make it official, Sherlock?" She hummed.

"Yes," She got to the bottom of the stairs and turned to watch him descend them behind her, "What?"

"Donovan will be there."

"She won't. She's on holiday with Andersen." Sherlock smirked and they walked out of 221 together, flagged a cab, and were on their way to meet Lestrade to make the arrest. His phone buzzed again with a text from John.

Going to finally tell Lestrade? -JW

After the arrest has been made. -SH

"Was that John?" Susanna asked. He hummed in response and she nodded, "Alright."

"He was wondering if we'd make it official today."

"He's been rather excited about us telling everyone."

"Yes he has."

Susanna cleared her throat, "We don't have to tell anyone yet, Sherlock. We could just let them figure it out."

He looked at her, "Let's let Donovan and Andersen figure it out for themselves. I will tell Lestrade though."

"Sounds good, Sherlock," Her eyes lit up, "Oh, have you told Mycroft yet?"

"No. The last thing we need is his meddling," He chuckled, "Of course you've already told Brooklyn and your family."

"If I didn't I would be in trouble."

"With who?"

"Ma and Brooklyn, mostly. Followed closely by my Dad and stepfather. My stepmother probably doesn't care either way."

"And then of course there are your brothers," Sherlock finished, earning a nod from Susanna, "You certainly have an easier time announcing our courtship then I do."

"I'm just more practiced, Sherlock," She continued, "What about your parents?"

"I haven't told anyone in my family. Although I should probably tell my parents before Mycroft figures it out."

"I imagine your mother would hate to be the last to know. I get the feeling that she hasn't seen either of her sons court anyone and will be pleasantly surprised."

"I take it you want me to tell my parents soon."

"Yes, Sherlock. Call them and tell them before Mycroft figures it out." Sherlock sighed and gave in.

"Alright. After we're done." Susanna smiled warmly and took his hand in hers, squeezing it encouragingly. Sherlock lifted her hand to his lips again and dusted a kiss across her knuckles.

They arrived at the rendezvous a couple blocks away from where Brent had taken shelter with several associates from his drug cartel. Lestrade had assembled a team to go in an apprehend the group, and was eager to see Sherlock step out of the taxi, "Oi, Sherlock, I was wondering if you'd show up."

When he saw Susanna emerge from the black cab, confusion and then a spark of recognition flashed across his face. Sherlock led Susanna over, "She is here to identify Brent Hatfield once he has been apprehended."

"Okay then. Well, I was waiting for you to arrive to give 'em the go."

"Proceed." Lestrade authorized the sting and the men moved in. Sherlock took care of some business with a few members of his homeless network, leaving Susanna with Lestrade.

"You're looking well, Susanna." Lestrade commented. She smiled.

"Thank you. I am recovering rather well from being kidnapped." She replied.

"I cut out the stitches for her today." Sherlock called as he returned from talking to his network.

"It's good to see that the recovery is coming along. I guess we can thank Brent for choosing to hold you hostage in a hospital." Lestrade mused. Susanna laughed, but Sherlock didn't.

"Not amusing, Gary."

"It's fine, Sherlock. He has a point. Brent could have had me in a mildewy warehouse." Susanna soothed. Lestrade didn't miss how Sherlock visibly relaxed when she said it. Over the radio came the report that the team had caught everyone inside or attempting to escape the perimeter, and that they were on their way.

In a matter of ten minutes, Susanna had identified Brent and said her final farewell to the psychopath. She and Sherlock gave their statements to one of the other officers and then the pair approached Lestrade, walking close together, "Greg." The D.I. turned his attention squarely to them, knowing something was up since Sherlock rarely used his correct first name.

"Yes?"

Sherlock faltered for a moment. Susanna grasped his hand tightly and leaned into him, "S-Susanna and I. W-Well... W-We are, officially, courting." Lestrade grinned and threw up his hands.

"I never thought I'd see the day that any woman would catch Sherlock's eye! Congratulations, you two!" He pulled Sherlock in for a short but firm hug, patting or rather pounding the detective on the back. He then turned to Susanna, "You're a lucky lady, Susanna." She grinned.

"Yes, I know I am." Lestrade returned his gaze to Sherlock, who was smiling almost giddily. 

"You, Sherlock, ought to consider yourself lucky indeed."

"I do." Sherlock assured. Lestrade nodded, grinning as he bid them adieu and returned to his work.

The couple flagged another taxi and took it to Susanna's flat, where she informed Zella before they went upstairs. Susanna then busied herself with tea and some lunch, and after a lot of coaxing Sherlock reluctantly phoned his mother.

"Sherlock? Why are you calling? Is everything okay?!"

"Nothing is wrong-!"

"Well we never get calls from you when nothing is wrong, Sherlock."

"Mum, I am calling you to tell you some good news."

"Go on. Should I have your father on too?" After a minute both parties had each other on speaker (Sherlock per Susanna's request) and his father had joined in, "Well, Sherlock?"

"Well, um, I suppose that it should please you to know that I..." Susanna urged him on, "Have a girlfriend and we are courting."

Sherlock nearly dropped his mobile as his mother's exclamations of joy blasted from the tiny device. Susanna burst out laughing, "I told you they'd be excited, Sherlock."

By the time that lunch was ready, Sherlock had promised to have his parents meet Susanna the next time they were in town, among other things, and had also informed Molly. Mycroft had yet to call, text or appear in 48 Ainsworth Rise but neither could really care.

Sherlock and Susanna took to her chaise with Barney purring between them as their closest friends as family started buzzing about the detective and his lady love.

Thank you all for reading!! I'm glad that you have enjoyed this story and I hope that you will stay tuned for the sequel! Thank you again!!