Racing a Psychopath

John and Sherlock walked into St. Bart's and headed straight for the lab where Molly was on shift. Brooklyn followed behind, carrying the folder and making a few calls to update Mycroft, Niles Trowbridge and others, "Molly will know which hospitals are equipped with mortuaries big enough to hold fifteen." Sherlock explained as they walked into Molly's lab. She looked up and smiled.

"Oh hello. Um, how can I help you?" Sherlock took the folder from Brooklyn and dropped it in Molly's hands.

"Where would we find a mortuary with enough spaces for fifteen people?"

"Sorry?"

"It's Susanna. Her stalkers probably masqueraded as M.E.s to abduct her using the ambulance, and have been at every crime scene this week." Sherlock clarified, opening the folder for Molly to examine.

"Okay then. Well, um, You're looking at the bigger hospitals- probably one of the General Hospitals." Molly thumbed through the papers and clicked.

"Molly-"

"Ohh," She exhaled, "Susanna's in worse trouble than we thought, isn't she?"

"Given that her stalker has killed at least fifteen people, we're dealing with a psychopathic serial killer who if we do not hurry could murder Susanna as we speak."

"Sherlock." John calmed, aware of Sherlock's growing impatience and worry. Molly gulped and nodded.

"I'd say that they'd probably be at the Hungerford General Hospital. It's pretty quiet but has a large mortuary." Molly answered. The very same hospital where Culverton Smith designed his murder castle. Sherlock took out his mobile and texted Lestrade and Mycroft.

"Thank you, Molly." He kissed her on the cheek and grabbed the folder before darting out of the room, tailed by John. Brooklyn walked over and hugged Molly tightly.

"What was that for?"

"For helping us find Susanna. And for helping me find my best friend."

"My pleasure." Molly smiled and waved as Brooklyn ran after the duo.

"Hungerford General Hospital!" Sherlock ordered as they piled into a Taxi. He had his mobile out, rapidly messaging people, "We're dealing with a serial killer with psychopathic tendencies. Smart, clever, and ready to kill Susanna at a moment's notice. We can't just barge into the mortuary- puts Susanna at too much risk."

"So, what? We're going to sneak into a hospital?"

"We're going to have the hospital locked down and we're going to go in alone." Brooklyn cleared her throat.

"I'm going in too."

"No you're not!"

"I'm Susanna's best friend and I'm trained for this sort of thing. If there is a need, I am authorized to be a mediator." She curtly explained.

"Fine." Sherlock snapped, engrossed with his mobile.

They arrived at the hospital as Lestrade got there with extra police. Mycroft and Niles arrived by helicopter with their own people im tow. After briefly conversing with Lestrade, Sherlock gestured for John and Brooklyn to follow him.

A feeling of desperate urgency hung around the trio as they made their way to the mortuary. If the stalker had figured out that they were there, then Susanna might as well be dead. So the police armed response was posted at all exit points and did not set foot in the door. Sherlock brushed his hand over his coat pocket, feeling for his own gun.

When they did finally reach the belly of the beast, so to speak, with the mortuary chamber then each of them fell silent. The corridor was empty but there were several cameras. Sherlock texted Mycroft and within a couple minutes, the cameras had been hacked and taken offline.

All three of them took hold of their guns and moved to the mortuary door. They heard muffled voices and other noises on the other side. Things being moved around, possibly corpses.

Sherlock took hold of the door handle and pushed it open, walking in with his gun raised. Brooklyn and John followed behind him, the former dropping into a kneeling stance with her own gun at the ready.

Two men, recognizable from the crime scenes, were there in the mortuary. They were loading a few corpses into some of the cubicles and when they saw the intruders, immediately ran to the desk and grabbed for their own guns, "Oi! What are you doing in here!"

"Where is Susanna Markwardt!?" Sherlock demanded.

Both men raised their guns and the three dropped to duck a spray of bullets that ricocheted around the room. Just as the shooters were running out of ammo then John and Brooklyn ran and incapacitated them, "Where are the third stalker and Susanna?" Brooklyn interrogated, holding the shorter one in a painful restraint. The two refused to talk.

Sherlock scanned the room and saw another door at the end. The doorknob was turning on it and before he could warn Brooklyn and John, a tall man jumped out and fired off two bullets, piercing the two suspects through their skulls and taking them out instantly. Brooklyn and John dropped the bodies and turned around.

"I see that you have once again forced my hand" Said the man in sickly voice, "Brent Hatfield. Pscyhopath."

Please consider dropping a vote for this story! Thank you!