Candidates

For almost a month the duo had been interviewing, background checking and analyzing applicants. Many seemed promising, but they came up short in one way or another. If they couldn't handle Sherlock's deductions and habits, if they wilted during John's interview, if they did not get on with Rosie, then they were dismissed. Over twenty candidates had passed through the living room of 221B Baker Street. Of them, only four stood out.

"Sherlock, we can't just 'pick one at random'! It won't work!" John exclaimed, throwing up his hands. Sherlock grunted.

"We may have to, John. Besides, we also have to think of cost. Most of them were going to overcharge-"

"Overcharge? We're asking for a nanny who can protect Rosie, handle our hectic schedule and even hemp in cases! This is like finding a needle in a haystack, Sherlock!" John inhaled deeply.

"Alright then, shall we go over these four again?" The consulting detective fluffed his dark hair and reordered the profiles, "Margaret Hatford, age 42. Been looking for employment since last fall after she retired from a family with three children. Married, but lives close by."

John picked up the next one; "Vivienne Templeton, age 28. New to being a nanny, but single and also close by. Only part time."

"Patrice Smith, 40. Single but part time only. Lives farther away."

"Ninette Brown. 32, experienced but engaged."

"Have you not found a nanny yet, brother mine?" Mycroft chided, suddenly appearing at the door. Sherlock tensed, "It's been nearly a month and you've got cases that won't solve themselves."

"Rosie has to have a nanny before anymore cases come through my door, Mycroft," Sherlock snipped and placed Patrice's profile on the dismissed stack, "Patrice would not be able to assist us outside of being a nanny. Out."

John sighed, rubbing his temples, "We said that we would inform you when we hired a nanny, Mycroft."

"Yes, but England certainly does not wait for nannies, Doctor Watson." He tapped his cane twice on the floor.

"Mycroft-"

"I have come to offer you some assistance, brother mine. Would you consider my offer?"

"What, leaving Rosie in your hands?" Sherlock queried sharply this time, finally looking at his brother.

Mycroft shook his head, "Absolutely not. You know I have no ability with children, Sherlock. However, I have acquired a list of referrals to nannies that I myself have background checked and met with." He extracted an envelope and passed it to John.

"Really?"

"Yes. Anything to get you two working on a case again." Sherlock tsked at Mycroft but nodded in a curt thanks.

"Thank you, Mycroft."

"My pleasure," He turned to leave, "Please do tell me when you've hired one."

"Of course." Mycroft huffed and walked back out.

John brought the envelope to the desk and opened it, pulling out several files.

"Shall we?" Sherlock sighed and was met with an exasperated nod, "Okay... Connie Bishop..."