Susanna

Sherlock and John had spent the previous day picking out the next candidates to call for interviews from Mycroft's files. After weeks of searching they were both at wit's end, nigh desperate to actually hire a nanny. So Sherlock had haphazardly gone through the list and informed the applicants that they were being interviewed the last evening before they'd had to see a crime scene.

Now, waiting for their first candidate to show up, the detective and the doctor were having tea with Mrs. Hudson. She had been recruited as a third opinion on the nannies since she would also come in constant contact with whomever they hired. She tutted after taking a short sip, "So, what's this first girl's name?"

"Darlene Harvey." John replied, mostly focused on feeding Rosie and keeping her somewhat presentable. Sherlock nodded in agreement but was engrossed in his mobile phone. Texting or blogging on Twitter had become another means of keeping him entertained.

"Hmm... She should be here soon?"

"Yes, she should."

"Here she is." Sherlock tsked as the doorbell buzzed. Mrs Hudson got up to get the door as they made their way to the living room and straightened up.

"I hope we can stop our search today." John groaned.

"As do I."

They proceeded to interview ten nannies who each left their flat with no promise of employment. Most of them displayed signs of not being able to cope with the hectic lifestyle and or Sherlock's deductions. And of course if Rosie did not approve of or seem comfortable with them, the candidate was released.

John leaned back in his armchair and groaned, "Sherlock, how hard is it to find a nanny who can handle all this?"

"Relax, John, we still have two more. Maybe one of them will turn up," Sherlock typed away on his computer, "I have a bursting inbox of cases, and hardly any of them are interesting in the least!!" He slammed down the computer lid and reached for his pistol. John noticed and quickly snatched it, much to his best friends chagrin.

"No shooting the smiley face when Rosie is in the room, remember?!" Sherlock huffed and pulled open a box of nicotine patches, slapping two on and resting his head in his hands. Two for the remaining candidates they had yet to interview.

Silence loomed for a while longer before the doorbell buzzed again, "That must be Connie Bishop." Sherlock sighed, flexing his hand. On cue they heard Mrs Hudson greet the newcomer and direct her to their living room.

Connie Bishop soon appeared at the door. A slight woman in her late 30s, with mousy brown hair cut short and  amber brown eyes. She exceeded John's height in flats, and exuded confidence. Her outfit was noticeably formal and business-ready. John looked over at Sherlock and bade him not to speak his deductions until later before greeting Connie. She seemed, after all, like they might be getting somewhere. So they made introductions and began. Sherlock remained mostly quiet, allowing John to ask the questions.

"And you have prior experience?" John asked. Connie nodded.

"Yes. Until recently I was working for the Knowsley family in Sussex. Two girls. I was there for eight years. They retired me one month ago."

"Your credentials seem to be in place and you are qualified." John murmured, looking over her file again. Finally he glanced at Sherlock, asking for approval or disapproval. The detective nodded.

"Will the commute be an issue? We often have cases that require us to leave at a moments notice." Sherlock probed. Connie shook her head.

"I have my own car so no, that won't be an issue. And my fiance, he's self employed, drives through here a lot anyway." Sherlock nodded, absorbing her answer as John finished up. Rosie was introduced to Connie, and the duo watched closely.

Rosie seemed to like Connie a lot, and vice versa. But Connie, as Sherlock's deductive nature picked out, seemed too stiff and formal. He whispered this to John who waved it off. Soon after, they walked her out and she left.

"I really liked her, Sherlock."

"Yes, she was very good. Nearly perfect?"

"Nearly?" John began to ask why but they both heard laughter from Mrs Hudson's flat. It was her voice of course, mingled with another woman's. They walked in to find Mrs Hudson sitting and having tea with a young woman in her 30s.

"Mrs Hudson?" She beamed.

"Oh I was wondering when you'd pop down! This young lady came quite early for her interview and so I put on some tea." The lady stood up and offered her hand to them. John took it, a little baffled.

"Susanna Markwardt, sir. I hope you don't mind that I came early." She then shook Sherlock's hand.

"Of course not, Miss Markwardt. In fact we can talk to you right now." John greeted. Susanna nodded and they led her upstairs. Mrs Hudson sighed and began to clean up.

She was short, possibly Molly's height, with long strawberry blonde hair in a french braid and vibrant blue eyes. She dressed well though not business-formal, carrying herself with confidence but not pride.

Sherlock gestured for her to sit down in the chair normally reserved for clients and then they began.

"So, Miss Markwardt, you recently left a position with the Honeycutt family?"

Please vote and leave a comment to let me know what you think! Thanks!