Rosie's First Steps

~>One Month Later<~

It had taken three full weeks for Sherlock to accept Susanna's apology and admit that she had gotten the better of him. Conversely, during that time Susanna had made it clear that while she would adjust to his unique habits that she would never put up with BS, etcetera. John had had to come in between Susanna and Sherlock on three occasions where he had tried to argue with her rulings concerning the flat and Rosie. Tried.

Initial conflicts aside, Susanna and Sherlock were getting along swimmingly. She respected his habits and needs, and he somewhat understood that she wasn't personally insulting his intelligence when she was clever. Now that they had reached a sort of understanding, the past couple of weeks had gone much smoother.

John sighed, watching Susanna play with Rosie on the couch. It was a slow Saturday morning and Susanna had dropped by to help with Rosie while Sherlock and John rested. Sherlock had actually retired to his bed, a rare miracle, so 221B was calm for the moment. He'd probably be out in a few minutes anyway. So John finished writing up their last case on the laptop and walked over to the couch, "Oh, here's daddy, Rosie!" Susanna handed her to John, enunciating 'daddy' as she did. Rosie mimicked the pattern with a short babble, garnering a smile from both.

"Do you actually think she'll start walking soon?"

"Yes, John. I've been coaxing her a little every day."

"Do you think I should..?" John asked lightly, looking to Susanna for approval. She nodded zealously and grinned.

"Yes. You're her Dad, and walking is a huge milestone," She gestured to the floor and John slowly descended to his knees, holding Rosie up. Susanna knelt a short distance away, "You can steady her by holding onto her hands." John adjusted his hold and then gently eased Rosie forward. She awkwardly flailed one leg in front, babbling intensely.

"Come on, Rosie, come on," John coaxed calmly. Rosie warbled in response and flailed her other leg.

It took a minute for Rosie to start making tiny steps, though helped by John, and another five before she made it to Susanna's reach. Susanna cheered Rosie on and then guided her slowly back to John. Just as he had Rosie back in his arms, Sherlock wandered out from the bedroom. He was dressed in his typical style, but with a blue dressing gown instead of a blazer. When he saw them on the floor he froze, unsure of what they were trying to do.

"Good Morning, Sherlock. We're helping Rosie with learning to walk," Susanna motioned for him to come over to her, "Come on." He hesitated for a moment before taking a spot on the floor, creating a triangle between the three adults.

"Why are we doing this now?"

"Because I think her first steps should be with the people who care for her the most. And by coaxing her, she'll learn faster." Susanna's answer was enough to silence the detective, who sat stiffly and watched John guide Rosie over to Susanna. Then back.

Finally after several runs between Susanna and John, the latter decided to include Sherlock. He shifted to face his best friend and prompted Rosie towards him. Sherlock tensed up, "Why me?"

"Because, Sherlock, you're her godfather." John quipped. Sherlock sighed and watched Rosie closely as she approached. Susanna took out her phone and discreetly snapped a few photos, and sat ready to record.

Sherlock and John ran Rosie between them for a while, watching as she got faster and more sure of her footing.

After a healthy hour and a half of practice walks, it seemed to click for Rosie. As she was put on the path to John again, she loosened her grip and stumbled her way to her dad, who immediately swooped her up and cheered. Susanna laughed, having filmed her first steps.

Sherlock smiled warmly and joined in the celebration. Missus Hudson was called up to witness the spectacular event, and all their friends were sent the clip.

Yet in the jubilee of the moment, Sherlock found himself gazing at Susanna more than usual. She had done her hair differently that day, but something else entirely elicited his attention.

Her laughter.

Please comment below what you think so far!! Thanks!!