:A Proscriptive Relationship: 24

"How did you know salt and vinegar were my favorite flavor of chips?"

I stared blankly at Mr. Heywood. He couldn't be serious. He smirked back at me, opening the bag of chips and eating one. So much for that idea.

I glanced around the room and my attention was drawn to the homework section on the bored. Getting the permission slip for the field trip signed was under my grade's homework.

"What's the field trip?" I asked, turning back to Mr. Heywood.

He stared at me curiously for a moment, and then realization swept across his face. "Oh, that's right. You were out yesterday."

"How do you know ? You were out too."

"Attendance form," he informed me, an amused smirk on his face.

"Oh," I responded simply.

"There's a class trip to the beach on Saturday," Mr. Heywood started, going over to his desk. "I have a form somewhere if you want one... They are staying over night at a hotel by the beach."

"I want one," I told him quickly.

He frowned at me. "Are you sure?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Mr. Heywood shrugged. "Never mind."

"Okay...?"

Mr. Heywood pulled out a sheet of paper, and handed it to me. I scanned it quickly, and put it into my backpack.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

A thought suddenly popped into my head and I frowned slightly.

"Say, Mr. Heywood..."

"Chris," he corrected me, raising an eyebrow.

"Chris," I said and rolled my eyes. "Why don't you ever have a detention list on the board?"

Mr. Heywood eyed me for a moment before shrugging. "I didn't realize I had to have one."

"You don't, but most teachers do to remember who had a detention," I told him, looking at his desk. "And I've also noticed that you don't have any detention slips either."

"They're just in my drawer."

I frowned deeper. "Come to think of it... I've never heard anyone say they've got a detention from you, either." I looked at him curiously. "Why is that?"

Mr. Heywood cleared his throat. "I don't know what you're talking about. I give detentions."

"Yeah, to me," I snorted. "But how come I've never heard anyone else say they have?"

"I don't know," he responded casually.

"The girls would surely gloat about it, and the guys would complain... but ever since you started working here, no one has said anything about a detention with you."

Mr. Heywood sighed and looked at me. "Why are you so interested?"

I shrugged. "No reason really, the thought just suddenly popped into my head."

Mr. Heywood stayed quiet for a moment, and I went over to the white board, debating on asking whether I should clean it for him or not. It wasn't like he seemed to have anything else planned for me to do.

"I'm not allowed to have students serve detention with me," Mr. Heywood said, breaking the silence.

I turned to look at him in surprise. "What? Why?"

Mr. Heywood looked over at me with a smirk. "Can't you figure it out? A young, exteremly handsome, kind, man like myself being alone in a room with a high schooler?"