:A Proscriptive Relationship: 46

"Before I tell you anything, I have a question," Holly said, frowning at me. "How do you know about Shawn?"

I sighed. "It's kind of a long story..."

"I've got time."

After a moment of hesitation, I resigned and decided to tell her the whole story. I left out the whole Shawn wanting me part though. Mr. Heywood and Jeremy worried about me enough for a hundred people. The last thing I needed was for more people to fret over me.

"And that's how I learned about Mr. Heywood's past as a gang member," I finished lamely, raising my eyes to look at Holly for the first time since I started explaining.

She was staring at me like I was crazy. I didn't blame her. In retrospect, I realized everything that I did with any occurrence with the gang members was incredibly stupid. Especially the whole "punch everyone" part of it.

"How could Chris have dragged you into this? This is seriously dangerous, Holly," Holly warned me, finally speaking.

"I already know that," I responded. "And it's more my fault I became involved... Mr. Heywood just complicates things."

"He should have kept you out of it though."

I frowned at her. "I'm the one who-"

Holly shook her head. "It's still his problem, Holly."

"It's my problem now too," I stated stubbornly. For some reason, I felt like I had to defend Mr. Heywood. "Mr. Heywood didn't have anything to do with that..."

Holly raised her eyebrow skeptically. "Is that so?"

"It is." Okay, so it wasn't the whole truth, but it wasn't like Mr. Heywood forced me to punch anyone. Holly looked like she wanted to say more, but I cut her off before she could. "Now it's your turn to talk. What happened with Shawn?"

"Before I answer, I have one more question. How did you know it was Shawn who attacked me instead of the mugging I claimed it to be?"

"Umm..." I hesitated, blushing faintly from the embarrassment of my actions from the memory. "The night when I saw you for the first time I went to the park after I... left the hospital and he found me there. While we were talking he said, 'at least you're the right Holly this time', so I figured he might have done something to you. And then Mr. Heywood told me that you were mugged."

Holly frowned at me. "Shawn said something similar to me when he figured out I wasn't who he wanted me to be. He said, 'well isn't it my other Holly?'. At the time I didn't know you existed, so I was pretty confused."

"That was my reaction when Shawn said 'the other Holly'. And that's how I figured out that you weren't mugged. "

Holly sighed, tapping her finger against the metal rail on her bed. "You can't tell Chris."

"I know," I responded. "But why not?"

"I'm done."

The sudden coldness in her voice made me tense up. Her friendly demeanor had suddenly turned bitter, and her eyes hard. I had to look away, intimidated by her gaze. My initial nervousness returned with new vigor.

"I won't tell," I finally said quietly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," she responded, her tone lighter again. "I just can't take this gangster business anymore. After Chris went to jail I promised myself that I would never get involved again- that's why I moved away. And now I have a son-"

"You have a son?" I asked in shock. Already? That meant she must have had a relationship at least two months after Mr. Heywood went to jail...

Holly shook her head, smiling at my expression. "He's going to be my step-son."