:A Proscriptive Relationship: 32

Waves splashed against the black rocks as I gazed into the deep blue ocean, entranced by it. It was such a dark blue, it was almost impossible to see through. And of course the cloudy day wasn't helping it at all.

I looked up at the sky for a moment. It had gotten considerably darker since I had come out here...

I lowered myself into a squatting position, suddenly terrified of falling in. I had no clue how deep it was down there. Glancing back at the shore, judging by the distance, I figured it was pretty deep.

Barely anyone was on the rock pier today. Yesterday, it had been crowded, but today, only a few stray fishermen lined the rocks leading out, but none of them were as far as I was. I had walked all the way to the end of it, where the little white post was.

Getting here had actually been a difficult task. Not all the rocks were flat on the top and connected, so I had to jump a lot of gaps between the rocks. It wasn't so bad, but it was terrifying if you thought about falling into the ocean. There was at least a seven-foot drop from the rocks to the ocean. But as you grew closer, the ocean level rose, so where I was standing currently, there was only about a half-foot drop.

Casey was too busy playing volleyball, so she didn't come with me this time. I sighed, staring back at the mesmerizing ocean. To me, it was an entrancing, yet terrifying body of water. My worst fear was falling in and either drowning, or having some kind of sea creature attack me.

I chuckled at my next thought. What if there was a kraken or something in it? I wouldn't be able to see it because of the overcast and deep water...

I slowly moved away from the edge of the rocks. Curse my imagination and ability to be scared easily. Krakens didn't even exist! I sent one more nervous peek at the ocean before turning my attention to the white post.

Hundreds of names and initials were etched into it, or written on with marker. I ran my eyes along the rocks until I spotted a small and sharp one. Bending down, I grabbed it, and began carving my own initials into the post.

As a second thought, I made a heart after my name and added the letters C.H. next to it. When I was finished, I chucked the rock into the ocean, hearing it land with a plunk. I giggled a little at my childish idea. Hopefully Mr. Heywood wouldn't come out here.

I felt something moist on my bare skin and I looked up with a frown to find it drizzling slightly, and even darker than before. I sighed, knowing I should head back. I didn't want it to be pitch black as I tried to make my way off the rock pier.

Stretching, I adjusted my bikini top, wishing I had worn a sweatshirt, or shirt at least. With the rain and slight wind, it wasn't a really warm temperature as it had been earlier.

To make it easier to walk, I took off my flip-flops and held them in my hand. Making my way carefully from each rock to the next was turning out to be more difficult on the way back then to. The rain was quickening now, making the rocks more slippery. Scowling in annoyance, I cautiously maneuvered myself around a rock I couldn't climb over.

My foot slipped, and a strangled cry escaped my throat as I fell forward. For one gut-wrenching second I thought I was going to topple over the edge, but I managed to catch myself on the next rock before I could do so. I pulled myself back into a standing position, my heart hammering against my chest.

I should have at least told someone I was coming here. Stupid, stupid Holly.

Gathering up my courage, I continued at a snail-like pace across the rocks. I kept my eyes off of the ocean below, knowing it would only frighten me more. As I slowly approached the shore, the sky rain fell heavier, and the sky grew darker. When I finally made it to the relatively flat portion of the rocks, I relaxed immediately. At least now I couldn't fall into the ocean.