:A Proscriptive Relationship: 47-1

"Happy birthday, Holly!" Casey cried, throwing her arms around me.

"How many times are you going to say that to me today?" I responded with a laugh, pulling her arms around me. This was the fifth time today.

"Every time I see you!" Casey notified me. "You're officially a legal adult!"

"Well actually, she won't be an adult-adult until she's twenty-one," Sam corrected, grinning at me. "But it's close enough."

"Hey! I can be thrown in jail for crimes now!" I said enthusiastically. "No more Juvie!"

"And you can't date anyone older than eighteen without any legal problems," Casey told me with a wink.

My faces grew hot and I looked away from her. "I guess so..."

"So we're all going to the fair tomorrow?" Sam asked, pulling my lunch towards him. "Are you going to eat your brownie?"

"Taking the roll of Lance, I see," Sadie commented, rolling her eyes. "It's Holly's birthday. Let her have her brownie."

Sam frowned at Sadie. "You spoil all my fun."

"I'm your girlfriend, I'm supposed to."

I laughed as Sam grinned. "Sam, you can have my brownie. I don't like them. And I have cookies from Danielle, anyway." I shook the bag of chocolate chip cookies Danielle had baked me for my birthday. "I'm set."

"Awesome," Sam responded, taking my brownie of my tray. "You can have the tray."

"Whoa! Highlight of my day!" I responded with mock excitement.

"What are you doing tonight for your birthday?" Sadie asked. "Going somewhere with your mom?"

"Yeah. My mom is taking me, Jeremy and Mr... Mr. Ross, Jeremy's dad, out to eat," I corrected myself, blushing. That was too close.

Sadie wagged her eyebrows. "Who's Jeremy?"

"Holly's handsome elder companion," Casey responded for me. "Holly likes older guys."

"Casey!"

Sadie laughed. "Don't be embarrassed about that!"

"I'm not!" I responded, my face still burning. "I don't have a relationship with Jeremy, he's just a friend."

"Or is he?"

"Just a friend," I assured Sadie.

She shrugged. "That's too bad. You could use a boyfriend, Holly."

Before I could respond someone tapped on my shoulder, making me jump. I twisted around in my seat to see an underclassman I didn't recognize holding out a small, yellow piece of paper.

"Holly Evers?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah...?"

"This is for you, from Mr. Heywood. He wants to see you for a moment."

The younger student thrust the piece of paper closer to my face and I quickly grabbed it from him before he could stab my eye out. As soon as the paper left his hand, he turned and made his way away from my table. My eyes went from the boy to the note and I almost smiled at the sight of Mr. Heywood's sloppy handwriting.

"Mr. Heywood is here today?" Sadie asked excitedly. "Yay! He's been out sick for like, forever."

"What's it say?" Casey prodded, looking at it over my shoulder at the note.

"Nothing much, he just wants to see me before lunch ends," I told her, scanning over the note again. "I guess I can leave early..."

Casey smirked at me, coming closer, and lowering her voice. "You two alone, huh? And it's your birthday..."