:A Proscriptive Relationship: 28

"You're kidding me."

Jeremy laughed, taking the photo from my hands. "Hmm, I believe this was Chris in his freshman year of college..."

I looked at the photo again. "No way, he's too young."

Jeremy raised an eyebrow. "Don't you know? Chris skipped two grades in middle school."

I gasped, my eyes widening. "What? Really?"

Jeremy nodded. "He graduated at age sixteen. After that he went straight to college, and managed to graduate with his teaching degree in only three years ."

My mouth was open in shock as I digested this information. Just how smart was Mr. Heywood?

"So wait... he was gang leader at age sixteen?"

"Eighteen," Jeremy corrected me.

"Then why doesn't this picture have names?"

"This is why."

I watched as Jeremy unfolded a piece of paper. He handed it over, and it crinkled in my hand. The edges were yellow from age. I scanned down the paper. It was full with names, and fight durations.

"It can't be..."

"Oh, yes it can. Flip the paper over."

I did Jeremy commanded, and my eyes met more names. "This is crazy!"

"He is a crazy good fighter," Jeremy responded. "Over one hundred matches won within half a year. Two hundred by the end of it. The only reason Chris didn't become gang leader as soon as he joined was because he wouldn't accept."

I shook my head in disbelief. "This isn't impossible... it's almost inhuman."

"You've seen Chris fight, right?"

Images of Mr. Heywood's one hit knock outs flooded my mind. I nodded my head vigorously.

"There you go."

I frowned at the photo for a few moments. "Okay... so if he joined the gang when he was either a freshman or sophomore--"

"Sophomore," Jeremy corrected me. "And how'd you know that?"

"He told me," I responded, before returning to my thoughts. "That means he was part of the gang since he was around fourteen... then at seventeen he went to college, and was still part of the gang. At twenty he graduated..."

"Where are you going with this?" Jeremy commented, sounding confused.

I turned my attention onto him. "Why didn't Mr. Heywood start teaching when he was twenty-one? Why wait until a year later? And he didn't quit the gang until this year, when he started teaching... so what did he do in that year between graduating and starting as a teacher?"

Jeremy suddenly looked uncomfortable. He squatted down and began searching through the papers on the floor again, ignoring my questions and stares. I walked over to him and lowered myself to his level.

"Tell me what Mr. Heywood did during that time, Jeremy."

"It's not my business to tell, I'm afraid," Jeremy responded quietly. "There's some stuff I can tell you, however, this is not something I feel I should divulge to you. Chris will tell you if he wants you to know."

"Does this have to do with why your old gang wants him dead?" I demanded, my gaze hardening.

"Oh look what I found!" Jeremy cried excitedly, standing up.

I followed suit, a small scowl on my face. "Don't ignore me, answer my question!"

"Look, Holly. Isn't Chris so cute when he smiles? This was his graduating year at college."