:A Proscriptive Relationship: 52

When Shawn swore heavily, my eyes shot open. I scanned my body, realizing I was completely unharmed. What happened? A dud? Did he run out of ammo? Whatever happened, luck was on my side. Shawn suddenly chucked the gun at me and it just barely hit my shoulder. I winced and jerked away. Shawn was trying to stand up again. I didn’t waste any more time.

“Holly, I’m going to get you!” Shawn shouted at me.

I sprinted for the door, in my socks, a pair of boxers, and my shirt. Casey had left it open so I didn’t stop as I burst through it. Instead of feeling free, I felt pain as I ran into someone roughly. I screamed and my eyes shot open as I staggered backwards, coming face-to-face with Jeremy. My scream abruptly stopped, and I gasped.

“Jeremy! I thought—” I choked out, caught up with emotion.

“No time to explain now Holly,” Jeremy cut me off, looking over me. “We’ve got to go— Holly, where are your pants?”

“Uh…”

“Never mind,” Jeremy said quickly, grabbing my wrist. “We’ve got to go now. The cops will be here any second.”

Together we hurried for Jeremy’s car, which was running and ready to go. My mind was racing. Jeremy was alive? But how? He had been shot! I didn’t even see any blood on him!

“In the car,” Jeremy demanded, hurrying to the driver’s seat.

I opened the door to the back, finding Mr. Heywood sprawled out over the seats. Being as gentle as possible I raised his head and slid in, placing his head down in my lap. Jeremy hopped into the front and took slammed on the guess.

“Here,” Casey said breathlessly, turning and tossing me her sweatshirt as Jeremy floored it. “Do I even want to know where your pants are?”

“Nope.”

I caught the sweatshirt and lifted up Mr. Heywood’s head again, pushing the sweatshirt between his head and my lap before setting his head down again. The gash on his forehead caught my attention again and I felt my heart start to pound faster again. I gently placed my hand on the side of his forehead without any wounds.

“How’d you guys escape?” I asked.

Casey turned to grin at me. “It’s a good thing I had a bobby pin.”

“You picked the lock?”

“I’m not totally useless,” Casey commented with a shrug.

I couldn’t help but grin at her. “Nope. And thank god you’re not. Now… Jeremy, how are you so okay after being shot?” I asked, turning to look at Jeremy.

He turned and smirked at me. “Didn’t I tell you I had a few tricks up my sleeve?”

“Eyes on the road!” Casey commanded, making Jeremy roll his eyes.

“Bulletproof vest,” Jeremy answered the question I was about to ask. “It wasn’t like I was unprepared.”

I raised an eyebrow. “So… wait. You were just randomly wearing a bulletproof vest?”

Jeremy laughed. “No, I just had a bad feeling this morning, so I put it on.”

“You’re weird.”

“It saved my life, didn’t it?”

I smiled slightly. “Yeah, it did. That really scared me though.”

“I could tell from your voice,” Jeremy commented, sounding amused. “Jeremy! Jeremy!” he mimicked in a high-pitched tone.

A blush made its’ way onto my face and I glared at the back of Jeremy’s head. “It’s not funny! I really was worried about you!”