:A Proscriptive Relationship: 27

"Casey!" I called, running down the hall after her. "Case!"

She stopped and turned around, waiting for me to catch up with her. I paused beside her, trying to regain my breath.

"I've run around this whole school looking for you!" I explained, holding my side.

"Why?" she responded, looking slightly amused.

"Want to walk home with me?"

Casey raised her eyebrow at my request. Well, it sounded more like I begged her rather than asked her.

"Why are you asking?"

"Because lately we haven't been walking home together since I've been getting rides, or you've been getting rides... mostly you," I said, narrowing my eyes accusingly. "And it's too boring to walk home alone."

Casey smiled sheepishly. "Actually..."

"Casey!" a new voice called, and Casey looked behind me, a smile spreading on her face.

I turned around and Willis grinned at me.

"Oh," I responded in defeat. "You're going home with him?"

"Him?" Willis responded, sniffing. "I do have a name."

"Sorry," Casey responded, bowing her head. "It's our one year and a half anniversary so..."

I waved my hand. "Don't worry. You two go have fun."

Willis grinned, wrapping an arm around Casey's shoulder. "You can join us if you want, Holly."

"Nah, I don't want to intrude," I told him.

"You need to get a boyfriend so we can double date," Willis commented, frowning slightly.

Casey laughed. "Oh, trust me. We couldn't double date with the guy she's got her sights on."

"Casey!" I warned, glaring.

"Don't worry, I can keep a secret, Holly."

"I know but..."

"What are you two talking about?" Willis interjected, looking curious.

"Never mind," I said quickly. "You two go have fun... I'm going to go walk home... alone... I could be kidnapped... maybe even killed--"

"Stop being over-dramatic, Holly," Casey reprimanded, rolling her eyes. "See you later."

I grinned, shaking my head. "Okay, bye."

I watched as they walked off towards Willis's locker. When they were out of sight I sighed, turning around and walking straight into someone. I winced at the contact of my face and their hard chest.

"The tables have turned," a familiar voice commented. I looked up to see Mr. Heywood smirking down at me. "Watch where you're going, Holly."

I scowled, stepping away from him. "Right."

I turned around and started walking for the back exit of the school. All the other students went out the front where the buses were, and I didn't feel like dealing with the chaos. I heard footsteps behind me that told me Mr. Heywood was following me.

"You're not angry about me taking your phone away, are you?" he questioned, falling into step with me.

I ignored him, concentrating on the door so I didn't snap at him. He chuckled beside me.

"Or maybe you're jealous of my date again?"

I swallowed, willing myself not to talk. I couldn't let him know I was the least bit jealous, otherwise he'd mock me. Or figure out I liked him.