The Street Musician

Death of An Interior Decorator by Death Cab For Cutie

Annabeth's P.O.V.

A coffee cup in one hand and files and drawings under her arms, Annabeth Chase made her way towards the subway station. It was late evening on a Friday, with heavy rain and since everyone seemed eager to get home, the rush was more.

To top it all off, her train was running late that meant that her evening plans with her roommates, Piper and Hazel, were ruined for there was no way that she could make it in time.

Annabeth sighed and sat on one of the metal benches at the station. She took small sips of her still warm coffee and tried to relax.

Things for her had grown hectic. Setting up her own firm was a hard job and she never thought that she would get famous.
She had set up two buildings till now, both of which got excellent reviews and now her desk was piling up with commissions.
She really needed a few drafters, that would make her work a lot easier. She had already put up advertisements for the job on a few newspapers.

Annabeth's parents never wanted her to become an architect. Her step-mother was against it, so her father was against it. They both wanted her to be a posed model for a rich husband.
But they should have already guessed with the amount of good grades that she had, she would never follow their path.

Anything her parents didn't want her to do, she did it. 'Don't get a tattoo,' they said, 'It doesn't look good for girls.' The next day, she went ahead and got an owl tattooed on her back. On her her right arm, she got a small tattoo of 'infinity'.
Her parents were furious, but she didn't care.
They told her not to get piercings. She got six piercings done on her ears, three on each and wore studs and rings everyday.
Her parents knew she was a rebel and always tried to tie her down.
But she was already out of their clutches, so it didn't matter now.

Annabeth got up to throw her now empty coffee cup in a nearby trash can, when she saw a small mob gathered around a street musician.
She was intrigued by this guy because he was singing a song that she hadn't heard in a long time (that was since her freshman year), and to be honest, he was singing very well.

She threw her cup away and made her way towards the mob.
She couldn't see the face of the musician but she was glad that she could hear him sing.
She closed her eyes to feel the song.

"You were the mother of three girls so sweet,
That storm through your turnstile,
And climbed to the street.
But after conception, your body lay cold.
Withered through Autumn then you found yourself old.
Can you tell me why have you been so sad?
He took a lover on a far away beach,
While you arranged flowers and chose color schemes.

Can you tell me why have you been so sad?
Can you tell me why have you been so sad?"

Annabeth got lost in the words. She didn't realize that the singer had stopped until she heard a small applause going around the mob. She joined in and smiled.

"Thank you, everyone for listening to me. If you all don't mind, I will be handing out some flyers for a small musical show at the Mildbrooke Club," said the street musician. "If you want to listen to me sing more, you are more than welcome to do so this Saturday. You all okay with that?"

Cheers went through the mob and finally, the musician got up. He was tall enough for Annabeth to see his face, and she was surprised at the face she was looking at.

The street musician looked exactly like her ex-boyfriend (only older and more handsome) back from her high school days, back when she was a freshman.
She gaped at him as the crowd dispersed.