Prologue- Taunting Beginnings

*WARNING: TRIGGERING SCENE AHEAD*

[] T H I R D    P E R S O N []

4 Years Earlier

Clara is having a rough day.

Just a few minutes ago, her boyfriend dumped her in the middle of the school cafeteria, that too during lunch time. If that wasn't embarrassing enough, she had to wheel herself away from the taunting stares, then awkwardly wait for the elevator to come down to take her to the main floor.

Then when she left the school, she contemplated whether to call her chauffer or not. He was a good man, but she knew the moment she called him, her mother would also find out about her. For once, she didn't want that. So Clara did a courageous thing.

She decided to take the bus.

Once at the bus stop, she paused and thought about what had just went down in the cafeteria. Her boyfriend of seven months had just announced to the whole school that he simply stayed with her out of pity. However, he just couldn't deal with not being able to have sex with a crippled girl. And as his friends and many others laughed at her, she couldn't do anything but wheel herself away from the situation.  

Thinking about it again, broke her further.

This broke her to a point where she realized she just couldn't take it anymore. It was time to execute what she wanted to do since she landed in this wheelchair nearly five months ago.

Clara is going to end her life today.

The moment the thought crossed her mind, she did what her psychologist kept telling her to do the moment she gets stuck in this flunk: Think about her loved ones. 

So she did.

She thought about her mother, with her pretty brown hair and matching eyes. She thought about how good her hot cocoa tasted on a rainy day. She thought about her smile and how it was enough to brighten anyone's day. 

Then she thought about her step-father and his warm, crinkly eyes, and how they sparkled every time he got to tease his wife, her mother, just to get a reaction out of her. She thought about his wise words and how they could solve the greatest mysteries of the Earth. 

Lastly, she thought about her brother and his hilarious jokes. His smirk that had nearly every girl melting, but to her, it just looked like he was constipated. She thought about his brotherly hugs, and his warm heart.

She thought about how if it weren't for them, she would've given up a long time ago.

But she knew that today, none of it would be enough.

Her mother's cocoa won't comfort her.

Her father's words won't fix her.

Her brother's hug won't mend her.

Today, nothing can change her mind. 

Suddenly, the bus pulled up in front of her, and she patiently waited for the driver to lower the ramp. She noticed the stares she received as everyone waited for the slowest ramp in history to finally come down. When it did, it took her another few moments to fully get onto the bus. Once she got on, she realized she didn't have her bus pass. In fact, she didn't have anything but her old cellphone in her lap.

"I- I'm sorry," she nervously said. "I d-don't have my card."

The bus driver sighed and let her on anyway. She slowly wheeled her way down the aisle and noticed that the driver was waiting. Feeling conscious that it was because of her, she didn't notice when she jammed her wheelchair right into a pole.