Chapter 58- Taunting Truths

[] L E O []

"The number you have dialed is unavailable. Please leave a voice messag-"

I let out a low growl and threw my phone against the edge of my bed. I groaned in frustration and put my head in my hands.

Just then, the door to my hospital room opened. I looked up in annoyance only to see Andre's face come into view.

"What got your panties in a twist?" He asked, walking over to me.

I only huffed and stared him down.

"What?" He said, raising his arms as he came to a stand beside me.

I noticed he had a paper bag in one hand, holding food I presumed. Andre set the bag down on the table beside me and started to open it. He was humming a soft tune, avoiding looking at me.

"Where is she?" I asked suddenly.

Andre's happy demeanor instantly deflated. He tried to cover it up, but I already saw through it.

"I don't know man," was all he said, his eyes straying from mine.

"Don't lie to me Andre. She knows I'm here, doesn't she?" I tried again.

Andre tried to busy himself with the bag of food he brought me, his hands shaking.

"Couldn't tell ya man. But look at the bright side, I got you your favourite-"

"Andre," I said sternly, enough to get his attention.

He froze at the table, and after a few moments, he turned to me.

"Why isn't she answering my calls?" I asked, almost desperate this time.

Andre's shoulders deflated. He took a few hesitant steps towards me and took a seat at the edge of my bed. I braced myself to hear some horrible news.

She's got to be hurt.

She's got be stuck somewhere.

Because there's no way she wouldn't come to me when I'm here.

Right?

I stared at Andre, waiting to hear the truth. Andre opened his mouth once, then closed it. He finally took a deep breath and looked up at me.

"She's not coming yet Leo."

All the air left my lungs at his answer.

"What?"

Andre sighed and ran a hand over his face.

"She isn't coming back yet Leo. She... she wants to be with her family right now."

With every word he spoke, my heart shattered even more. I turned to him desperately, now worried that there must be a serious issue going on.

"What's happening there Andre? What's so important that she can't even answer my call?"

Andre stayed silent.