Chapter 5- Taunting Behaviours

[] A M E L I A []

I woke up with a sore throat today, probably because I had spoken more in the past two weeks than I did in the last couple of years. It was a long haul to get out of bed and make my way to the bathroom this morning because of it. When I finished getting ready for the day, I quickly headed to the café for breakfast. Once I was done eating, I started making my way to class.

It was English this morning, and as much as I loved the subject, a certain someone made it very hard to concentrate in it recently. With a sigh, I headed for the building. Once inside the classroom, I started heading towards my regular seat in the back. On my way up the ramp, my eyes involuntarily fleeted off to the side where Leo usually sat.

Surprisingly, he was already sitting in his spot. His arms were crossed over his books on the desk, and his head was resting on top of them. He was sleeping. I looked away quickly and made my way to my normal seat.

Although I momentarily felt good about flipping him off yesterday, guilt caught up with me soon after. There was no reason for me to so rash, since I had only talked to him a couple of times. It was rarely a direct conversation too. Moreover, there was no reason for me to hold his bruised and bloody hand. His knuckles were probably hurting when I made the movement. And Leo didn't look like someone who fought people for no reason, physically, that is. He just seemed like a normal guy who got into an accidental brawl. So maybe his rudeness was only there because he was hurting.

But for the first time in a while, I was curious.

I was curious as to why he got into the fight in the first place. I was curious as to who initiated the fight.

I was curious about Leo.

* * * 

Another day went by in a breeze. Before I knew it, I was sitting in my sociology lecture with Andre again. The professor was droning on about a theory, and I was taking quick notes as I went along. However, my mind was preoccupied with too much.

I was mostly thinking about how I didn't have lunch with Andre and the rest yesterday. I couldn't. First, it's not like I had any of their numbers, and even if I did, I don't think I would've went. It's easier if I stay away from them.

This morning however, I was a little skeptical. I knew that Andre would try to get me to come with him again. So how was I to tell him that maybe it's better if I don't?

I sighed and continued scribbling down notes from the lecture. Halfway through the class, the professor stopped to play a video. And like any other college class, students turned to each other the moment the professor turned their back to us. Instinctively, I did as well.

I turned to Andre, only to see him already watching me with a questioning gaze.

"Where were you yesterday during lunch?" he asked with a pout. "I even saved a spot for you."

"Uh, in my dorm," I muttered.

Andre gasped.

"Sorry, I just wasn't feeling well," I half-lied.

Andre made a 'tsk tsk' sound and I decided to turn the conversation around for now.

"Uh... how are Leo's knuckles doing?" I murmured, still a bit embarrassed from that incident.

"He's okay. It's nothing he can't handle," Andre said, shrugging.

I nodded, not questioning any further.

"By the way Amelia, if not joining us yesterday had anything to with him, then don't even bother about it. He's just anti-social. If he had a problem with you, I'd never insist on inviting you in the first place," Andre said.