Chapter 34- Taunting Appreciations

[] L E O []

My heart stopped beating in that moment.

I felt as if I was hit by lightning, or a truck, or anything as painful.

A strangled gasp left my lips as her words registered once more, and I quickly whipped Clara around to face me.

"What the fuck are you saying, Clara?" I breathed out.

She simply hung her head in shame, a few tears escaping her as she did so.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled.

Without thinking twice, I brought my arms up around her shoulders and crushed her to my chest.

"Why would you do that Clara? Why would you even think of doing that? Were we not good enough?"

Immediately, she pulled back and shook her head at me.

"I thought of you guys, Leo. I did. But I just couldn't get over that day," she said, her eyes glazing over. "I was so sick of that wheelchair and I just wanted to have a way out. I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry Leo."

I brought her back to my chest, unable to stop my shaking nerves. Holding her was the only reason I felt somewhat grounded in reality at the moment.

"I'm sorry I couldn't do better," I murmured.

She shook her head, her arms encircling around my waist to hug me back.

"It wasn't because of you Leo. If anything, you were one of the biggest reasons I found courage to continue. Yes, Amelia stopped me that day without even realizing it, but you, mom, and James, kept me going afterward. If it wasn't for you three, I might not have survived therapy. So thank you Leo. You were truly my rock."

We stayed like that for a while. Me hugging my little sister, who might not have been alive right now if it weren't for Amelia Harrison. And her, hugging me back and just being there.

We finally pulled away after a few moments and I brought my sleeve up to my face to wipe away the stray tears. Finally I turned back to Clara, a shaky breath escaping my lips.

She was already looking at me, a small smile etched onto her face.

"Amelia didn't want me to tell you this, Leo. She didn't want you remembering that time again," Clara said.

My heart warmed at that.

Clara brought her hand up to my shoulder and gave it a small squeeze.

"Now I know it's stupid to ask this, but... you're really crazy for her aren't you? And it's not just my eyes playing tricks on me?" she said playfully.

And there it was.

The million dollar question.

Was I crazy for Amelia Harrison?

The answer was, probably.

But I couldn't admit that yet. Because if I admitted it to myself, then nothing would stop me from telling her that. And I couldn't scare her away with my feelings. Never.

I finally turned away from Clara and faced the railings. Her hand fell from my shoulder, and I somehow found comfort in the cold.

"I don't deserve her, Clara," I simply said.

And this was true.

I did not deserve Amelia Harrison.

I doubt anyone really did.