Chapter 43- Taunting Embraces

[] A M E L I A []

The following few days were long. Leo had gone home to visit his family, leaving the rest of us behind. Lunch without him was sad, and each of us would look over to his empty seat once in a while. Since he was away for the weekend, I couldn't even busy myself with classes.

He left the day after I visited him, and ever since then, he was barely able to contact any of us. This was understandable, however, I couldn't help the part of me that wanted to pick up the phone and talk to him for hours on end. I wanted to know how he was doing, how the rest of them were doing, and more importantly, how he was feeling.

Apparently, Laura had decided upon holding a small funeral for her ex, and now late, husband. I thought this was courageous of her. Even though Leo resented the thought when he first heard it, he finally agreed to it after hearing Laura's point of view. She didn't want to have any lingering feelings, and especially, feel any regret. I understood her in a way, but on the other hand, my heart ached for Leo. More than that, it ached for Clara.

I had spoken to her briefly yesterday, and she had only said a few words, all sounding forced and disheveled. I cut it short then, not wanting to intrude on their privacy.

In a way, I saw myself and my family in the Kennedy's. I guess this was why Leo had taken me to meet them in the first place. They were all strong, a little more than my family and been, and this courage made them something grand in my eyes. The thought of what Laura had to go through when she decided upon holding her ex-husband's funeral, caused a shiver to go down my spine. After everything that occured, she felt as if she had to say goodbye to him one last time.

I hurt for her the most.

Despite her family's history with the man, she did what she thought was morally right. I agree that what her husband did was nowhere close to being forgivable, especially since he never asked for forgiveness, but he was still the same man that had a part in giving her Leo and Clara. That to me was enough reason for her to want to hold his funeral.

And maybe Laura had been the opposite of Leo.

Maybe she could remember the good times she shared with her husband.

I sighed and stole another look at my phone that was sitting on my side table. Before I could reach over to pick it up, I heard a groan beside me.

"For goodness sakes Amelia, the darn phone hasn't rung."

I pulled my hand back and turned to give Gemma a sheepish look.

"You've been checking every five minutes," she groaned. "Why don't you just call him?"

I bit my lip in contemplation. It was a tempting offer, since the last I spoke to him was two days ago. However, I shook my head at her, not wanting to bother him.

"Not right now Gemma. He must be busy."

Although Gemma didn't know his full story, she knew that Leo's dad and Laura's ex-husband, had passed away. None of us told her more than that, careful not to spill too much of Leo's story since it wasn't ours to tell. But she noticed the change in the three of us since Leo left. I knew she had a feeling that there was more to his story than a dead father, but if she had any questions, she didn't ask me. For this I was grateful, since I wasn't sure if I could betray Leo to tell her the truth, and if I couldn't, then if I could lie to her and hide the rest of his story from her.

Gemma had been an amazing friend so far. She proved to me time and time again that her friendship was worth it, and I wanted to return the favor with every chance I got. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to lie to her. But then, I wouldn't risk hurting Leo. And I think she understood that. So she held back her curiosity, once again proving that she was an amazing friend.