Chapter 59- Taunting Visits

[] A M E L I A []

His words hung in the air.

I felt the air rush out of my lungs as he spoke.

Dad continued strongly, his voice unwavering.

"The police are trying to find the officer who hid the original reports now. However, Levi is not aware of this, in case the information is wrong," dad said. "All the police had to say for now is that Levi may or may not have been the one to supply the drug. If he was, his sentence is going to get extended. If not... then we don't know yet."

All three of us exhaled at once. This was a lot to take in right now.

How did drugs end up getting involved in all of this?

No matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't see Brittany or Levi using drugs intentionally. Although Levi has done bad things in the past, drugs are not something he would even go near. He was an athlete, and moreover, Brittany hated drugs. There was no way he'd get involved in that. However, it suddenly sunk in now that the officers back then had said that Levi took drugs to try and end his life after doing what he did.

How did that fit inot this now?

After a few moments of silence, I heard my mom speak.

"This is all we can say for now kiddos. I think it's best we let the case rest until the officer is found."

We all hummed in agreement. I felt Gemma pull her hand out of mine and I turned to give her a questioning look.

"Just have to go to the bathroom," she said.

I nodded and let her go. As Gemma was leaving the room, my parents stood as well.

"We're starting on dinner. John, you're staying," Mom announced.

Mom started leaving then, not bothering to wait for John's reply. Dad nodded fondly at us and followed after mom. That left the two of us.

After a few moments, I felt John squeeze my hand, which I forgot he was holding in the first place. I turned to face him, finally taking in his appearance.

He was wearing a hoodie today, different than the fancy attire I had seen him in when he came to Lethbridge. His hair was also dishevelled, meaning he'd run his hands through it frequently. But he still looked the same, the same John that had once been one of my closest friends'. I hope we can be the same way we used to.

Myabe some day we can.

He faced me fully, his eyes holding a sadness I couldn't place. He gave me a once over, his eyes deepening in worry.

"What are you doing to yourself Amelia?" He asked, his voice broken.

My heart clenched at his words, and I shook my head at him.

"I'm absolutely okay-"

"Don't bullshit me, Amelia. You look like you haven't slept in four days, and only drank your own tears too instead of having actual food and water," he said angrily. 

I looked down in shame, biting my lip as I did so. He sighed after a few moments.

"Nothing you do or say can ever change that night. I've accepted it now Amelia. That was the only thing that kept me going. That no matter how much I blame myself, Brittany won't come back."

A few traitorous tears escaped my eyes as he said those words. Words I desperately didn't wish to be true.

That I couldn't change the past.