Chapter 54- Taunting News

[] A M E L I A []

I pulled up in the driveway of my house. My car kept up with the weather, allowing me to make it home in one piece. The snow had also stopped, and the quietness of the highway got me here within 3 hours. I turned off my iginition and sat in the silence of my car, my thoughts running a mile a minute. I suddenly remembered why I was here in the first place.

"Honey... I never wanted to do this. I know you're busy but-"

"What happened, mom?"

"They're reopening the case. She overdosed, honey. Levi possibly didn't kill her."

My world came crashing down on me once again. The sudden news shook me to the core. Everything after the call with mom was a blur. I don't remember leaving Leo's apartment, and I barely remember the drive home. I just knew that I had to come here, no matter what.

I quickly got out of my car, the harsh winter wind nearly knocking the breath out of me. I huffed and puffed my way to the front door and rang the bell.

What I didn't expect when the door opened, was to see my mom standing on the other side with a furious expression.

"Amelia May Harrison," my mom said as soon as she whipped open the door.

It wasn't rare that my mom got mad at me. Growing up, I had always been the rebellious kid in our family. Not bad rebellious, but I had my fair share of moments. Between the two of them, dad was always my partner in crime, whereas mom busted us every chance she got. From sneaking me into the house after midnight, or letting me test drive the family car (before I got my learner's), dad had done it all. His prime time was when he let me go on my first date, yes, a date. I was 15 then, and mom had completely refused. Dad was the one who made her agree. His reasoning was that if Levi was allowed to date at that age, I should be too. Not that he did though. He always only wanted Brittany.

I never made it past the first date with Josh  Jenkins since he was an absolute jerk, but the point is, dad was always the peacemaker between my mother and I. However, that wasn't necessary in the past four years of my life. I had no friends left, no life left, therefore, mom never got mad at me anymore.

That's why, I took a step back from shock, my heart thuddering at the use of my full name. Mom had her hands on her hips, a deep frown etched onto her face.

"Get inside Amelia."

I quickly complied, hauling my butt into the house as fast as I could.

Mom started walking to the living room, her footsteps livid. I closed the door meekly behind me, and took my time kicking off my shoes. I slowly took off my jacket and hung it up, a habit that was so familiar before, but it oddly felt weird in my home now.

'Why did this feel so weird? So unlike... home?'

When I was done procrastinating, I finally sighed and started heading in the direction she went. I didn't know why she was so mad, but I knew it was something big.

Did she find out about Jackson? Did she know what happened last night?

But she couldn't. There was no way.

I took deep breaths as I made my way to the living room. Once I got there, I saw mom pacing back and forth by the fireplace, as dad sat on his big chair adjacent to her. He looked up from his book when he heard me approaching, and when he saw me, he immediately stood up. I grinned and started making my way over to him. But before I took take another step, my mom's outburst made us both stop dead in our tracks.