||33||

•Chapter Thirty-Three•
Lies and Betrayal
(ASGARD)

The floor cracked with frost as Nydri stalked across the throne room floor.  The room dropped in temperature, casting Alder's breath white where he sat upon the massive throne.  Nydri stopped mere inches from the edge of the dais.  There was no amusement in his blood red gaze.

"Did you really believe that I would not notice a missing Realm stone?"

Nydri's question echoed throughout the room, his voice rumbling the floor.  Alder did not flinch but he did crane his neck as his onyx eyes shifted.

"No," he started, "I know you're no fool.  But I must admit that I did not expect you to take this long to discover it's absence." 

Nydri almost laughed.  The nerve of the Noble—to act behind his back. 

And then make a mockery of him to his face?

"I believe you forget who you are bargaining with, Lord Alder." He hissed, his teeth baring as he stepped a single foot onto the dais. 

Alder's guards flinched at his sides but the Lord waved them off, "remember that I am the only path on which at the end you will be re-united with Eisa."

An actual laugh escaped Nydri, "your's is the easiest, not the only."

Nydri snapped his fingers, drawing an object from his pocket as two of his towering guards slunk out of the darkness of the throne room.  They stalked to his side and he handed the Frost Giant to his right a circular stone that was nearly the size of his palm.

"Survey the damage and then bring her back to me unharmed." He ordered as his guard collected the massive Realm Stone.  Nydri turned back to the Lord playing a King.

"Who ever your thief is, Lord Alder, I hope you warned them to stay clear of Eisa.  If not," Nydri laughed again, a dark, foreboding laugh, "I may just join in slaughtering you after I release both Princes."

~*~

LORIEN'S P.O.V

I was finally allowed to see Tove the next morning.  I spent the whole night leaning against the wall in the infirmary, curled into Alrekr's side as we waited in silence.  I tried meditating like Koa taught me, but I was exhausted and worried that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the memory of Tove lying limp in Alrekr's arms, blood seeping from her stomach.

When Tony informed us that the surgeon had finished, I was on my feet and in the room before Alrekr could barely stand up. 

I almost threw up when I saw how pale Tove was.

She looked so tiny lying there on the medical bed, her arms flush to her sides and her eyes shut.  She literally looked like a ghost; there was barely an ounce of pigment to her skin.

My hand flew up to cover my mouth. 

"She is stabilized and is doing very well."  A voice to my right said.  A forced my gaze to the woman who spoke—it was Tony's Doctor friend.  The one who saved Tove.  She was cloaked in a white lab coat and her warm, up tilted eyes watched us as she gave me a soft smile.