||46||

•Chapter Forty-Six•
Swan Song: Part I
(ASGARD)

*again, sorry for the late update and choppy chapter*

Loki was on his feet and guarding me—Malki doing the same with Alrekr.

Nydri was flanked by his own men as well as some of Alder's men. 

Outnumbered—all of us exhausted.  I took a shaky breath as my father's eyes settled on mine.  I wanted to hide behind Loki, but I would not let Nydri see my fear.

"I suppose it does not surprise me that I would find you here with him."

Nydri's voice was deathly calm—too calm, to controlled.  He knew something

His red gaze fell to my unmarked arm, "and perhaps I should have visited your cell after the spell was cast in order to see the results.  I see it wor—"

He didn't get to finish his sentence.  No, Eir stuck without warning, a flash of light green magic bursting from her palms at the frost giant.  Not her healing magic, this was different—and had she been rested, she could have caused a lot of damage.

I shielded my eyes from the light but I still caught my father blocking it. The blast refracted off his shield, imploding against the wall. Stone rained down.

Eir struck again, but this time, Nydri somehow caught her magic and flung it back at her.

It hit her without mercy, slamming her into the opposite wall. She cried out as she hit before slumping to the floor.

She did not move again.

"Eir!"

The shout was out of my mouth a second later and I tried to run to her. Loki held me back. "She's alive," he reassured me under his breath, holding me flush to his side.

My father's gaze whipped straight to me at my voice. His gaze narrowed.

"Come here."

He said it as if he had known me all my life—as if he thought he had some authority over me.

I shook my head viciously, sinking into my brother's side.  I would not be separated from him unwillingly again.

Nydri frowned.

"He healed the bruise, shame," he drawled, "now you no longer have a reminder of what happens when you disobey me."

I shuddered, and for a second, I thought Loki was going to explode. I felt his rage but I grabbed his hand to keep him from doing anything rash.

Nydri suddenly laughed, eyeing our hands, "oh, it's amusing how much say she has over you, Laufeyson."

He's taunting us. I looked up at my brother, pleading that he realized that. He was so smart, I just hoped his rage stayed in check. As long as he is taunting us, he's stalling himself.

"Funny how little you have over her," Loki bit out, cocking his head. He pulled me back a step and Nydri's face fell.