Chapter 14: Forgiveness

A N D R E W   D A L T O N

As I turn the corner, heading to the cafeteria, I spot a large mob ahead of me. The hall becomes quiet and I hear two voices conversing with each other. I instantly recognize them and quicken my pace.

"I thought something bad might've happened to you," Aria claims, faking her concern for Shortcake. Ugh, I hate fake bitches.

"Actually, I think I may be coming down with something." Shortcake coughs and adds, "Oh wait, never mind. I was just choking on some of your bullshit." I snicker under my breath. There's that fire I like.

They continue to argue and Shortcake starts to walk away, heading in my direction, before I hear Aria's painful words.

"No wonder your father never loved you."

My eyes widen and Shortcake freezes.

"It's a good thing he left you, he probably would've been extremely disappointed to have a slut as a daughter," Aria declares, putting emphasis on the derogatory term as she slowly walks towards Shortcake.

I shove my way through the crowd and stand inside the circle that's formed.

"What's going on here?" I demand.

A flash of pain wells in Shortcake's eyes as she looks up at me.

"How could you do that?" Shortcake whimpers.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, concern seeping in my voice.

"How could you tell Aria about my father? You knew that was extremely personal, and you told her!"

"Shortcake, I—"

I take a step closer to comfort her and explain that I didn't tell Aria anything, but she takes a step back and my stomach twists in knots.

She shoves past Aria's shoulder and runs in the opposite direction.

"Shortcake, wait! Shortcake!"

"Sophie!" I scream one last time, chasing after her. She hears my calls and quickens her pace.

I stop halfway down the hall and watch her turn the corner and disappear. I turn back to Aria, anger fueling within me, as she bats her fake eyelashes, acting innocent. I march towards her, "I need to talk to you."

I take a hold of her wrist and drag her behind me through the hall, everyone watching as we go. We pass through different corridors before we enter an empty hallway. I drop her wrist and spin around.

"Aria, why the hell are you picking on her for? What did she do to you, huh?" My voice slightly raises as I talk.

"This is all her fault, Andrew! She needs to be put back into her place with the outcasts, where she belongs. Everything was perfectly fine until she suddenly sprouted out of nowhere and became involved with you. She's the reason that we can't be together, and I want her gone," she spits coldly.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and squeeze my eyes shut, taking a moment to slightly calm down. This girl is unbelievable.