Chapter 13: The Text

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

A few days have passed and Andrew and I still haven't spoken to each other about the other day. After my harsh attitude towards him, he kept a distance.

From time to time, he would see me in the hallway and as soon as our gazes met, I would spin around on my heel and walk in the opposite direction. Whenever we had to talk or sit by each other in class, I would only reply to him with short answers.

But even though we weren't on the best terms, I still had that rush of adrenaline pump through my body when we locked eyes for those few seconds in the hallways, and I still felt tense and nervous when I would be near him during class.

***********

For some reason, Bree decided that I would be the one chauffeuring her to school, instead of it being the other way around, checking her social media and texting Bryan while I drive.

Then Bree's phone went off and she receives a text from an unknown number. When she opens the message, the smile plastered on her face immediately changes into a petrified look. I turn to her, a look of concern on my face.

"What's wrong, B? Did you get a creepy message? Is someone stalking you? What is it?!"

"Umm...it's nothing," she replies with a tight smile on her face. She's hiding something.

"I know you're hiding something from me, B. I know a fake smile when I see one."

"It's really nothing, Soph. Just...don't go to your locker, okay?"

"What? Why?!"

"Just don't," she repeats, her tone slightly turning more serious.

"Oh, for God's sake, what is it? You're starting to scare me!"

We stop at a red light and I snatch the phone out of her hands, surprising her with my quick reflexes. She reaches for her phone, but I put my arm out, restricting her with my right hand as I hold the phone with my left.

I punch in her passcode and tap on the conversation with the unknown number, who sent an image. Tapping on the image again to enlarge it, I'm horrified at what I was looking, a picture of my locker, except it's vandalized.

Someone wrote nasty words on it with a can of red spray paint, making the words stand out against the gray locker. Slut, desperate hoe, whore, and many other crude words are plastered all over the front of it.

Underneath the picture, the unknown number texted, And here we have Sophie the slut's locker. Feel free to add to the collection of names when you pass by!

"Oh my god. Who did this?!" A slight glossy sheen glaze over my eyes.

"I don't know," she mumbles.

"Bree?" I mutter, my voice shaking a little.

"Yeah?"

"Who else saw this?" I ask, my voice growing more unsteady.

"Um...the whole school."