Chapter 28: "Unbelievable."

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

These past weeks have been like hell, passing at a slow and painful rate. The first day back to school since the party had been torture.

Every time I saw him, the appalling scene of Andrew kissing Aria played in my mind and I felt the bile rise to the back of my throat. It got even worse when we had class together and were desk mates.

He never uttered a single word to me, sensing the pain he had caused me. I could constantly feel his eyes shooting laser beams at me, silently pleading for me to return his gaze. The day after the party, he had made no effort to contact me. Not a single message nor call, nothing.

My mind was also left in a dilemma. A part of me wished that he would chase after me and try to explain why he did what he did, but another part of me just wanted to get away from him as far as possible.

Every so often, I would catch glimpses of him when we pass through the hallway, and his face always looked emotionless. Sometimes, he would catch me gazing at him, and his eyes would fill with slight hope, but I always looked away immediately, afraid that unshed tears would form.

I'm sure Aria was also taking pleasure in seeing me in my miserable state. Every time she and her minions would pass by me in the hallway, they would snicker in my direction. I realized that my efforts in showing my distaste for them were just a waste of energy, but Bree didn't think so as she would always leer at them.

But on the bright side of it all, Bree was constantly by my side, supporting me throughout all of this drama. She was my rock, a shoulder to cry on, and never left my side, no matter what. Bryan had also sort of joined our little duo. He sat with us during lunch and made sure Bree was his number one priority.

"Hey, babe," Bryan says and gives Bree a kiss on the head as he pulls out a chair to join our lunch table. Bree's face turns the slightest shade of pink, but Bryan doesn't notice.

"Hey, Sophie," he acknowledges with a small wave. I smile in return and continue to devour the rest of my lunch. He wraps an arm around Bree and brings her closer to his chest. She smiles and rests her head on his shoulder. Ugh, I hate third-wheeling. Now I know what Bree must've felt like when she was with me and Andrew.

The thought of him bursts my bubble and I feel a tight squeeze forming in my chest. I push my chair back, causing a scraping noise to emit against the concrete floor.

"I'll be right back," I mumble, talking so fast that my words jumble together.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to come with you?" Bree asks, giving me a look of concern. She starts to shimmy out of Bryan's embrace before I stop her.

"I'm fine, I just need to clear my head. I'll be back in a bit," I assure her. She's hesitant at first before catching onto the subtle message, that I wanted to be alone, and she eased back into Bryan. I definitely wasn't fine, but a walk around campus alone was the perfect thing I needed.

As I travel throughout the campus, an early winter breeze blows and I hug my cardigan against my body. I near a bench and take a seat. I inhale a deep breath, feeling the cool, crisp air running through my nose.

I close my eyes and lean my head against the wall behind me. A feeling of bliss and tranquility surge through my body and replaces the anxiety and frustration within me.

I'm only able to enjoy the peaceful moment for a couple seconds before I feel the bench slightly shift under me. My eyes immediately shoot open and my head whips to the side. Leaning his head against the wall with his eyes closed, Andrew inhales a deep breath. I stand up from the bench and turn my body in his direction.