Chapter 36: "Back To You."

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

An uneasy feeling began to settle in my stomach, and it wasn't from the salmon. I decide to wait it out and try to bury it, but it disagrees and continues to grow heavier in my stomach. Argh, this date is perfect, so why do I feel so uneasy?

Even though I was enjoying the scenery and Max's company, it still felt like something was missing; like I was missing something.

As we reach the middle mark of the movie, I whisper to Max, "Hey, I'm not feeling too well." Guilt instantly punches me in the gut for lying to him, worsening the uncomfortable feeling dwelling within me.

He was such a sweet guy and was the guy I had always dreamed about. Kind, compassionate, funny...good looking. He was like the Prince Charming I had always wanted, but I realized. He wasn't my Prince Charming.

He frowns and panic sets in his features, "I'm so sorry, is it from the salmon? Sophie, I—"

"No it's not from the salmon, " I cut him off, "I'm just...not really feeling the movie, and I'm starting to become slightly tired from the lack of sleep I've been getting." I offer him a soft smile and he gives me an incredulous look but nods.

"Let's get you home then," he states with concern. We quickly and quietly pack up our things before shuffling out of the park.

As we pull up to my house, I glance at the clock and realize that it's only been two hours since we left, even though it felt like more time had passed. Throughout the entire car ride, the low hum emitted from the radio filled the air, avoiding any awkward silence to take place.

Max climbed out and lent me his hand as he helped me out of his car. He walked me to the bottom of my porch, and I turned to face him. As I stared into his eyes, uneasiness still filled them.

"I'm sorry that we had to cut this date short, but I had a lot of fun," I admitted with a soft grin. I pulled his jacket off of my shoulders and handed it back to him. The frown he sported eases into a small grin at my words.

"You don't have to apologize, Sophie. I still feel like I should be the one apologizing to you." Guilt made the bile rise up to the back of my throat as I know the real reason why this date had ended so soon. "But honestly, I also had a lot of fun, even if we didn't get to do everything that I had planned."

I frowned at the last part of his sentence, "What else did you plan?"

"Well, after the movie, I made plans to take you on a boat ride to gaze at the stars and watch the Christmas parade that they hold by the pier. Tonight was the last night of the show," Max sighed as he ruffled a hand through his hair. I forced myself to open my mouth and say something, but my brain doesn't seem like it wants to send a signal to my mouth to speak, and nothing comes out.

"Anyways, tonight was great, and I really hope you get better soon." He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my forehead, "Goodnight, Sophie." He gives me a small grin and walks away.

I watched him as he slowly pulled away from my house, feeling a heavy weight fall on my shoulders. I spun around and entered through the front door, taking in a deep breath. In front of me, my mom wore her nurse uniform and her purse was draped over her shoulder as she quickly snatched her keys. When she heard the front door open, her body slightly relaxed from her tense state.

"Oh, Sophie. Why are you home so early?"

"I wasn't feeling too well, so Max brought me home."

"Well, perfect timing. Something came up at the hospital, and they needed extra nurses, so they called me in." She swiftly walked over to me and planted a kiss on my cheek. "See you in the morning, sweetheart." And with that, she was out the door.

I peeked through the front window and watched her car speed away. I threw my bag on the couch and plopped myself down. The uneasiness that's made a home within me swells bigger in my chest, putting pressure on my lungs.

I flicked the TV on and lazily flipped through the channels, each not satisfying enough to my liking. Finally, I give up on trying to distract my mind from the one thing I wanted the least on my mind.

I snatch up my phone and keys. Pushing the drapes hanging over the window to the side, I take cautious look outside to see if Max or my mom had come back.

When the coast was clear, I sprinted to my car and hopped in. I paused for a moment to grasp onto what I was about to do next. Wow, am I really doing this? Agh, screw it.

The loud rumble scuttled into a smooth purr and I carefully pulled out of the driveway. Without giving it a second thought, I firmly grip on the steering wheel as I make a few turns here and there and slightly accelerate. Before I know it, I pull up to my destination. Anxiety daunted me as I stared up at the massive black gate in front of me.

There's no going back now, Sophie.

I rolled down my window and pressed the call button. A few seconds later, a female voice answers, "Hello?"

"Hi, this is Sophie Wilkins," I announced, leaning on the windowsill to shorten the distance between my car and the intercom. Immediately, a buzzing noise radiates from the black gates as they open.

"Come on in." The speaker goes dead, and I pulled up to the mansion.

I twisted my key out from the ignition and inhaled one last breath as I attempted to calm down my speeding heart rate. I hopped out of the car and dragged my feet up the shallow stairs and brought myself to the front door. With each step I took, doubt and fear clouded my brain.

Finally, I mustered enough courage and pressed the doorbell. Almost instantly, the door swung open and I was met with those dangerously enthralling eyes. I don't know where to start, so instead, I let my heart do the talking. 

"I should've listened to my heart, not my head. No matter how hard I've tried to push you away, everything leads back to you. My thoughts, the way my heart flutters rapidly and the emotions I feel when you're around. Everything. What I'm trying to say is...I choose you. I choose you, Andrew Dalton."

_______________________________

Oh my gosh what a cute moment!! The things Sophie says to Andrew before telling him that she chooses him is probably one of my favorite dialogue lines from the entire story!

Please VOTE and I really hope you enjoyed this chapter! See you in the next one! ~Karlee 💛