Chapter 35: "Bon Appétit."

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

"This one, or this one?" I asked Bree, holding two tops up side by side as I stand in front of the mirror. In one hand, a rainbow pastel tie-dye shirt hung on a hanger and in the other, a black and white striped shirt.

"The tie-dye one," Bree points, relaxing on my bed. I quickly hang up the striped shirt back into my closet before grabbing a pair of denim jeans.

I stroll into the bathroom, that's attached to my room, and slip on the clothes. I grab the baby blue sweatshirt that's hanging over my chair near my desk where I do homework and slip on my shoes. I put on a quick layer of mascara before swiping on some lipgloss in the mirror.

"Does this look okay?" I ask Bree again for her approval. She nods and a small smile curls up in my lips, "Great."

The next second, a knock at the front door rings through the house, "That must be him." I snatch my bag and look at myself one more time in the vanity mirror, fixing any stray hairs that have sprouted out.

"I'll be waiting for you here when you come back," Bree said, picking up my laptop and scrolling through Netflix.

"I'll get it!" I yell down the hall and run down the stairs. I open the front door and tilt my head back to meet Max's gaze.

"Hi," I say softly, studying his look from head to toe. He has a white shirt on with a light grey jacket and a pair of dark blue jeans. His grey shoes with white laces match his outfit, and he gives me a warm smile.

"Hey, Sophie. Ready to go?" He sticks his hands in the front of his pockets.

"Who's at the door?" My mom shouts from behind. She comes into the living room and her eyes land on Max. She gives him a welcoming smile, "Who's this?"

"Mom, this is Max...my date," I explain cautiously. Her eyebrows raise in surprise and he interjects.

"Hi, Ms. Wilkins. It's nice to meet you." He gives her a small wave and smiles back. She beckons me to come closer and I inch my way towards her.

"Where's that other guy from the other night?" She whispers. "I thought you two had something going on."

"It's complicated," I admit nervously.

"Mhm," She gives me a skeptical look with a grin. She turns back to Max, who is waiting patiently near the door.

"It was nice meeting you, Max. Please bring Sophie back by 11 at the latest."

"Mom," I whine, embarrassment filing onto my cheeks. He lets out a small chuckle and I keep my back facing him.

"Of course, Ms. Wilkins." I give my mom a stop-embarrassing-me look before turning around and making my way towards Max.

"You ready?" He turns and faces me. I nod and shuffle quickly towards the door, wanting to leave the house before my mom embarrasses me any further.

"Bye, Mom!" I shout as we exit.

Max runs ahead of me and opens the door to the passenger seat.

"After you, m'lady," he smiles and tips his imaginary hat.

"Why thank you," I chuckle at his little act. He closes the door and rounds the car before hopping into his seat.

As we pull up to a red light, Max reaches for the back seat. He pulls something out of his backpack and hands it to me.

"Put this on," he instructs. A skinny black piece of cloth lands in my lap. "Don't want to ruin the surprise," he adds, quickly turning towards me with a wink before his eyes land back on the road. I gulp as the similar scenario with Andrew pops back into my head. I clear my throat before slowly raising the blindfold to my face, tying it gently around my head.