Chapter 30: "Don't you dare say that, Sophie."

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

The day was finally here, the one I was dreading the most. Winter Banquet. It was the last school day, a Friday, before winter break had officially kicked off.

I begged Bree to leave me alone at home, but she insisted on me coming. She wanted me to stop sulking and enjoy myself tonight. I doubt I could enjoy myself, considering that Bree and Bryan were going together, and I would be their tag-along third wheeler.

When Andrew asked me to winter formal, he gave me the tickets after we took a photo together with his sign. I vividly remember the photo as I'd scroll back to it several times in my camera roll after the proposal and the incident at the party.

With a giant grin, he held the sign with golden calligraphy letters in one hand as the other snaked around my waist, holding me against his body. Meanwhile, I was turned sideways and my arms wrapped around his neck with my foot flicked back as I planted a kiss on his cheek.

In the back, the cheerleaders repositioned themselves back into formation with three flyers in the air holding the first part of the sentence.

Before, the picture would bring me joy and butterflies would erupt madly in my stomach, but now, when I stare at the photo, all the photo fills me with is sadness, making me want to reverse the clock and go back to the times when we were still on good terms. When we were happy.

Since it was winter formal night, the teachers hadn't given us much homework to do over winter break. School had passed by in a blink of an eye for the most part, except for the times where I would have to come face to face with Andrew.

Surprisingly, he had given me space like I had requested. He wouldn't start a conversation unless it was school related or bothered to look for me before or after school.

His face was now constantly plastered with an expressionless, laid back look. But his eyes showed more than what he was willing to let on.

I knew that behind those dark brown, almost back, eyes, this space was eating him up inside because, in truth, it was having the same effect on me. My brain kept on trying to convince my heart that the space between us was for the best.

But no matter how hard I tried to distract myself and forget, every thought my brain created would always somehow lead back to him.

I hoped that Andrew wouldn't be there tonight, but uneasiness settled in my stomach as I knew my wish had a slim chance of being granted.

Luckily, I hadn't lost my ticket, as it was stowed away in the shoulder bag I planned on bringing. Bree had texted a few minutes ago saying that she would be over soon so we could get ready together.

A second later, a knock on the front door interrupted my train of thoughts. I shimmied down the stairs and let Bree in, giant black duffel bags in her hand once again.

"Alright, let's get started!" Bree exclaimed.

***********

As I stared at the dress hanging on my dresser, anxiety filled my stomach, threatening to bring up my lunch from earlier. Bree had already done my makeup, a chocolate to champagne colored ombré Smokey eye with a pale peach lip, and had curled my hair to perfection.