Chapter 24: "Shattered into millions of pieces."

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

"Oh my gosh, that's so adorable!" I muffle with the food in my mouth. I slap my hands on the table and look at her with awe as she shows me a picture of her and Bryan with him holding the sign in front of their bodies and an arm around her.

Bryan asked her to the banquet with a sign that said, It would really warm my heart if you went to formal with me, while they went on a date at the ice skating rink. She obviously said yes, so now we both have dates to the winter banquet.

"That reminds me, we have to start looking for our dresses. Let's go after school," she suggests. I nod and proceed to finish up my lunch.

***********

"Ooh, how about this one?" Bree asks excitedly as she takes a shimmery red dress off the rack and holds it against her body. It flows all the way down the ground and has a deep V-neck line. I pause for a second while I study the dress before shaking my head.

"Nah, it's too long and it doesn't really look like your style." She nods at my advice and returns it back onto the rack.

A light aqua dress catches her attention and she holds it up in front of me. Bree looks up and down as she makes a mental image of the dress on me.

"Ooh, this one's perfect for you. Go try it on." Bree shoves the dress into my arms. I hesitate before she spins me around and pushes me into an empty dressing room.

"Try it on, Soph. And come out here when you put it on, I wanna see how it looks on you," she expresses with a smile on her face. She quickly closes the door before I can escape and I turn back around to face the mirror.

I slip on the dress and admire how it looks on me. With a lace illusion neckline, the dress clings snugly to my body before flowing loosely around my waist and stops just above my knees.

I smooth out any wrinkles that have popped up before slowly opening the door to reveal the dress to Bree, who's leaning against the wall. She straightens up and a colossal smile spreads across her face.

"Wow, you look amazing! Am I good, or what?" She jokes. "So are you gonna get this one?"

"I think so." Her infectious smile has also spread to my face and I turn back to the mirror in the fitting room. After looking in a bunch of stores, I finally found a dress I really liked.

I quickly change and pay for the dress before continuing on our hunting spree for Bree's dress.

"How about this one?" I pull out a purple strapless dress with ruffles at the top of it. Bree looks at in awe and grabs it hastily out of my hand. She runs into the fitting room and I wait for a minute before she comes back out. The dress hugs Bree's figure and stops at her mid-thigh.

"I may not shop as much as you, but I do have a great sense of style," I jest, dramatically brushing my hair behind my shoulder. She lets out a quiet laugh and went back inside to change. She ended up buying the dress and at the end of the day, we were both satisfied that we found our dresses so quickly.

We stop at an empty bench to rest our feet and take a quick break as I look for my keys while Bree checks her social media. As I rummage through my bag, I finally find my car keys when Bree places her hand on my arm.