Chapter 38: Caught in a Dilemma

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

A faint light pokes through my eyelids and causes me to stir awake. I rub my heavy eyes with the back of my hand and my shoulder hits a hard chest as I attempt to roll to my back.

A smile lifts across my cheeks and my heart starts to pick up speed as I stare at the undisturbed appearance his face displays. Andrew's head rests peacefully in the crook of my neck and his arm is draped loosely around my waist. Our legs are intertwined like vines under his blanket as we lay there, a tranquil vibe surrounding us.

I brush away a stray piece of hair from his forehead and rub my fingers against it, feeling its softness. I slowly peel away the covers from my body and slip out of his embrace, cautious about not wanting to wake him. I don't make it far though, as Andrew suddenly wraps his hand around my wrist and tugs me into his chest.

"Where are you going, babe?" Andrew whines, eyes barely open. He wraps his arms snuggly around my waist, a bit of my shirt rising up, and rests his chin on my head as I rest my mines against his bare chest, the front of our bodies touching. The slight skin to skin contact on my belly and back cause my body to immediately melt into his as he leans down and gives me a tender, lingering kiss on my forehead.

"There. You can't escape from me now," he playfully pouts. I chuckle at his childish attitude and tilt my head back to meet his gaze.

I reach up and close my eyes as I lay a kiss on his nose, then his lips before slowly trailing down the side of his mouth and planting soft kisses along his jaw and down his neck. I stop my trail at his pec in front of my face, about to snuggle into his chest again, when he hooks a finger under my chin and tilts my head back. His intense gaze locks with mine and he places a slow, passion-filled kiss against my lips.

He pulls away and rolls onto his back as he heaves the top half of my body onto his chest, wrapping an arm around my back. He stares at me with admiration as he pushes a strand of hair behind my ear.

"You're so beautiful, Shortcake," he said, barely above a whisper. A hint of adoration dwells within his eyes as he gazes intently at me. My cheeks flush and my heart soars high into the sky at those simple words, making it impossible to breathe.

He cups my cheeks and leans forward, brushing his lips against mine. I savor the tingling sensation his lips give off for a split second before he pulls back and gives me soft smile. I lay my head on his chest, right on top of his heart. I smile as I hear it beating erratically, and he nestles a tender kiss in my hair.

For the next half hour, we laid there, cuddling in each other's arms. Our legs rewound itself together and my arms looped behind his neck. His arms were wrapped tightly around my waist, hands resting dangerously near my butt. 

I untangle myself from him and crawl out of bed.

"Just five more minutes," he pleads, sticking out his bottom lip as he holds onto my arm.

"You said that three five-more-minutes ago," I chuckle at his cute, childlike behavior. "Besides, my mom is probably home from her emergency shift from last night and is wondering where the hell I am," I said. Oddly enough, I didn't feel panicked at the thought that my mom could be home right now and possibly find my bed empty. But maybe it was just the effect that Andrew had on me, being in an eye of a storm.

As I walk out the door, I turn around one last time to bid Andrew a goodbye.

"I hate to see you leave," he pouted, still shirtless. With all of my strength, I kept my focus trained on his gorgeous face.