ONE | ένα

ONE | ένα

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

THERE WERE SWEATY bodies dancing against one another, moving in complete synchronization with the music on the dance floor, coating the dance club with a sweaty smell while I watched from the bar.

I thought going out to spoil myself on my twenty first birthday would ease the pain of finding out I'd been cheated on and dumped on the same day... which was also my birthday, but all I could think about were the happy faces all around me, and how everybody seemed to have their lives all figured out except me.

Boring. Me?

He said I was boring. The nerve of him.

My ex-boyfriend was far from perfect, and yet I trusted him completely.

He somehow made me feel both secure and insecure at the same time, like how in a conventional sense, he would been seen as much more of a catch than I was and yet, he still made the conscious decision to be with me.

He wanted to be with me!

Well, at least I thought he wanted to be with me, that was until I caught him with his pants down hovering over another woman this morning.

I felt bad. Maybe it was my own fault for not being like one of those front page models he was used to dating... the ones who had no real interests besides fame and money, who walked into a room and took everybody's breath away with nothing more than a smile.

Dating Angelo was a different type of adventure, like taking the risk of getting onto the largest slip and slide at a waterpark for the first time.

It was exciting and it made my stomach tingle, only I had eaten a big lunch right before getting on and now I was throwing up all over the place.

Maybe I was boring.

"Ariel. Why aren't you out on the dance floor?" Sutton asked, her plump pink lips turning downwards into a frown as she watched me with subtle hints of disapproval.

"Uhh... because I can't dance?" I retorted dryly with the roll of my eyes as I glanced back down at my plain glass of water.

She rolled her eyes at me. "So what? It's a night club, and better yet, it's my night club so I order you to dance or you're banned from Kalon for life!" She enthused from behind the counter, blending a few drinks together before adding one of those cocktail umbrellas and a long bendy straw to the concoction.

Once she was done decorating it, she slid it across the counter towards me as a devious smirk etched itself onto her perfect features.

Sutton Healy was not only the single most prepossessing person I had ever met in my entire life, she was also a successful night-club owner.

I met her in one of my college classes and we immediately hit it off.

I let my gaze wander over to her, she was grinning at one of the patrons sat before her, mixing him the perfect beverage. Her beautiful golden ringlets of hair cascaded down her back as she giggled at something the man said, her moss green eyes glimmers underneath the club lights as she swayed rhythmically along to the music.