17 | δεκαεπτά

17 | δεκαεπτά

▂▂▂▂❄︎▂▂▂▂

SUTTON DAVIDSON HAD always been the cool girl on campus. She was friends with everybody. All the boys and girls were trapped under her spell, wanting to be around her every second of every day. She always had a crowd swarming around her. So when she started talking to me for no apparent reason I figured it was some kind of joke, but soon over the years I started to feel like she was my best friend, and I shared all my secrets with her.

Now I realised that it was all a lie. A ploy to get closer to me and for what reason, I was unsure. Maybe she was a spy for Zeus? Maybe she was a spy for Ares? Although, I did recall the frown plastered on her face when Ares first made an appearance, so definitely not for him.

Well, the books did not lie. Ares and Aphrodite, despite being polar opposites and the latter being married had been in love before, and judging by the way they were bickering at the moment, it most probably didn't end very well. So what if Aphrodite just wanted to see who was fated to her ex lover? Wait... Aphrodite was the goddess of love. What if she was the one who fated me to Ares? What if she just randomly laid eyes on me in one of our classes and just decided that the burden of saving the world would fall on my shoulders.

"There isn't much time." Sutt– Aphrodite's voice fiddled with my thoughts as my eyes snapped to her. She was dressed in a long, pink coloured silky dress when I saw her, blue eyes glistening in the sunlight. Her beautiful blonde locks were tied into a high ponytail atop of her head.

"I thought you'd never find me, I was beginning to lose hope." Her voice was seeping with urgency as she hovered near me, completely ignoring everybody else. Her blue eyes met my green ones. "Did you get the box?" She asked. She was almost shaking in anticipation as she began to look around until her eyes finally landed on Apollo, who was pacing dangerously close to the unusually enormous river.

"You! You have the box, I can feel it. Give it to her!" She shrieked, causing for me to flinch backwards. There was a crease in the space between Ares' thick, fire-red eyebrows.

"Where is the amulet?" Eris was the first one to speak, completely ignoring Aphrodite's unorthodox behaviour.

Aphrodite wasn't acting like her normal self, not that I even really knew her but there was something off about her. Maybe she really was working for Zeus and maybe she had come to capture us all.

"Pandora's Box? How do you even know about it?" Apollo was the one who spoke, ignoring my gaze completely. I frowned in confusion. Why was he ignoring me? Come to think about it... Apollo hadn't uttered a single letter to me since we left the Underworld, and even when we were in the Underworld the words he exchanged with me were in the bare minimum. Was it something I said? Something I did?

"Who do you think sent it, you fool!" Just as those words floated past Aphrodite's lips, she clasped her hands over her mouth, eyes widening with the realisation that she had said too much.

Something flashed through her eyes, violet in colour and it was gone as soon as it came. I rubbed my eyes, I was seeing things.

"You are not fooling anybody. I could recognize that flash of violet anywhere. Reveal yourself and do tell us what you want. Contrary to popular belief, us gods do not have that much time on our hands." Eris was the one who spoke up, a devious smirk plastered over her caramel face.